Simple Tips to Own It - National Cyber Security Awareness Month #BeCyberSmart
Staying connected is a convenience that gives us the ability to access and share information anywhere, anytime, and at our fingertips. While its benefit may seem harmless, understanding opportunities for potential cybersecurity threats should always be top of mind. After all, the last thing we want is our most important information compromised.
To “Own It” is to make sure you understand your digital profile and to keep your personal information safe and secure. Many activities that we engage in online require us to provide personal identifiable information such as our name, date of birth, account numbers, passwords, location information, and more. While there are no guarantees you will never become a cybercrime victim, you can certainly be proactive in practicing a few simple tips to help reduce that risk.
Simple Tips to “Own It”
- Use a Strong Password– A strong password should be at least 12 characters long, with a mix of uppercase & lowercase characters, symbols, and numbers.
- Enable Two-Factor Authentication– This adds an extra step to your login process but helps prove you are the authorized user. Common methods can include fingerprint or face ID typically found on mobile phones and single-use code or authentication code to name a few.
- Be Up to Date – Regular software updates are often rolled out to help fix issues and security patches. Keeping your software updated to the latest version will help combat any present vulnerabilities.
- Keep Tabs on Your Apps – Make sure you only download apps or from trusted resources. Suspicious apps can run in the background and gather your personal information without your knowledge. Try to do a regular audit of your apps and delete any that you don’t need or no longer use.
- Safe Social Media Posting – Being mindful of what you share on social media and limit the information you post. Your vacation pics or coffee shop visit posts may seem harmless, but in the wrong hands, they can do harm. Also, keeping personal information private and off of social media is a no-brainer.
Is there anything else I can do to "Own It"?
At the very least, these are some tips you can start practicing making sure you “Own It”. With services like NETGEAR Armor, you can add an additional layer of protection to help limit any exposure to cyber threats. Armor features that help compliment these tips include:
Vulnerability Assessment – With regular scans on your network, Armor can identify and inform you about potential vulnerabilities found. This include checking for password strength and firmware version of your devices.
Safe Surfing & Dynamic URL Blocking – By actively safeguarding your network from cyber threats, Armor blocks known malicious sites and applications. This helps prevent you from clicking on known infected links before you click them.
To learn more about NETGEAR Armor, please visit: https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/
What are some measures you take to ensure your personal information stays safe and that you fully “Own It”? Tell us below!