Simple Tips to Secure It - National Cyber Security Awareness Month #BeCyberSmart
As technology evolves, the methods which cybercriminals are using to steal personal information is getting more sophisticated. So sophisticated that it has become difficult to distinguish what may or may not be a scam. Taking measures to ensure your personal information stays safe and secure becomes more important than ever.
To “Secure It” is to make sure you secure your digital profile. This means adding additional layers of security to better protect your personal information and to make sure you are aware of any signs of potential scams you can be exposed to. Below, we’ve outlined a few tips that you can easily practice to help ward off potential cyber threats.
Simple Tips to “Secure It”
- Protection Against Phishing – Phishing is a common method used by cybercriminals, often disguised as an authentic email, message, or website, to steal personal and financial information. Because some phishing attempts are difficult to distinguish, here are some precautions to take:
- If you’re unsure of who an email or message is from, don’t respond or click on links and attachments. If there any concerns about the legitimacy of the message, contact the company directly.
- If you receive a suspicious email or message that appears to be from someone you know, reach out to that person directly through another form of communication.
- Safe Online Shopping – Shop on sites you are familiar with and have shopped with before. If you do shop with a new retailer, be sure to research it carefully. Also, make sure the site you are visiting is secure. You will be able to tell by seeing a closed padlock in the address bar, or a URL beginning with https:// instead of http://
- Use a Strong Password – A strong password should be at least 12 characters long, with a mix of uppercase & lowercase characters, symbols, and numbers.
- Enable Two-Factor Authentication – This adds an extra step to your login process but helps prove you are the authorized user. Common methods can include fingerprint or face ID typically found on mobile phones and single-use code or authentication code to name a few.
Is there anything else I can do to "Secure It"?
By adding an additional layer of protection, you can certainly help keep yourself safe from potential threats. NETGEAR Armor is designed to help keep you safe from cyber threats at home and on-the-go, allowing you to better secure your personal information. Armor features that help compliment these tips include:
Secure Browsing – Browse safe websites across the internet and block known infected links before you click them.
Anti-Phishing – Block misleading websites falsely acting as trustworthy trying to steal personal information.
Anti-Fraud – Filter websites that may scam or steal financial data.
For more information about NETGEAR Armor, please visit: https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/
What are some additional steps that you take to “Secure It”? Tell us below!