Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stateful or Deep packet inspection or other?

wchp
Luminary

Stateful or Deep packet inspection or other?

Does the Bitdefender/Netgear Armor firewall use SPI (Stateful packet inspection, e.g. SonicWall) or DPI (Deep packet inspection, e.g. Bitdefender Box 2) or is it just a blacklist of know bad sites and IP's and filenames?

Message 1 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Re: Stateful or Deep packet inspection or other?

Hi @wchp . That's a very interesting question. Did you ever get an answer?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6
wchp
Luminary

Message 3 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Thank you @wchp for the prompt response. How were you able to ascertain that if I may ask?

You know, I disabled Armor because I wasn't happy with Bitdefender mediocre (at best) support; and had too many issues on both Windows PC's and Mac's. But I also had issues with Ultra HD streaming on Netflix -- the video would skip here and there throughout a viewing session. But none of these issues, albeit annoying, were/are deal-breakers IF the filtering at the router level is adequate. So this puts my pursuit of this issue somewhat in context.

Again, thanks for your help. I believe that your posts have been very helpful, not only for folks like me who are still on the sideline, but for the Community at large. 

Message 4 of 6
wchp
Luminary

I called sales and asked pre sales support who then had to find a sales engineer who then hand to get support involved...

Finally got to someone who understood exactly what my question was and was able to discuss throughput overhead and potential for latency and jitter.

I have only been able to measure about a 7-10% hit on throughput, no real change in latency or jitter.

I will admit the AV client installation leaves a bit to be desired.

Key there was to make sure ALL AV products from any other vendor were uninstalled and on Windows machines defender was turned off before you ran the install.

On the MACs a nusience to have to go into security and manually grant disk access to the bitdefender daemon.

I install SonicWall and Untangle firewalls for customers. I have found so far that the Armor product seems far better suited to a typical homeowner but that the BD-AV desktop software install still seems a little cumbersome.

I have experienced no issues with any streaming (Roku, Amazon and Apple TV) on any of the client devices.

I am running this on a RBR-50. I did not test it on a RBR-20.

Message 5 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Great info here @wchp . Thank you.

Jitter for me was quite noticeable, and I have the TV plugged directly into the RBS50 satellite. With Armor activated, a Netflix Ultra HD would load slowly and start playing at 20% or so; without Armor, downloads reach 100% within two seconds or so and then viewing starts. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7