Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unbelievable Problem with Netgear Armor

Will_T
Apprentice

Unbelievable Problem with Netgear Armor

I am setting up the system and having a couple of issues that I will post in another thread but this one is shocking.  After installing the router and two satellites, I reopened the Orbi app on my Android phone. Without any notification, question, permission, NOTHING, the app downloaded and installed Netgear Armor and activated a trial subscription. WTF???!!!  

I am not sure at all I want this and I certainly did not want it installed and activated automatically and without asking me.  I can see Armor in my subscriptions but I can not see any way to get rid of it.  How do I uninstall Netgear Armor?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Unbelievable Problem with Netgear Armor

Hi @Will_T, welcome to the community! The link below may help out.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/

May we know if you are experiencing any issues with the Armor feature.

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
Will_T
Apprentice

Thanks!  That link did help to show how to turn it off.  It says I have a subscription until June of 2020 so a 1 year trial must come with the Orbi.  I suppose I could just let it continue to run while I figure out what it actually is and what it does.  I just REALLY don't like companies that install software of any type, and especially paid subscription software without a warning or my permission to do it.  Netgear must believe that most people won't notice and will just pay once the year is up but wow I think that is shady.  I am surprised I don't see more complaints about this but maybe as I said most people don't notice.  The message that it was installed flashes by very fast so it would be easy to miss.

Message 3 of 5

Armor has its own bolt hole:

NETGEAR Armor - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 5
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @Will_T . BD Total Security on Windows PCs and MACs gave me headaches. So I've been running Armor as a stand-alone app on the router and it's been working pretty well so far. I still have three weeks to go on the trial ... If everything holds tight, I think I'll probably buy the subscription. With a full-year trial, you'll have plenty of time to experiment with it. Good luck!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7