Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unwanted printing

FURRYe38
Guru

Also as a suggested work around until Armor is fixed, use other alternative means to connect to the printer. USB or Ethernet maybe available on these printers. 

Please continue to post over in the Armor forums. 

Thank you. 

Message 26 of 58
bbattjer
Aspirant

Hi @Blanca_O I have the same phantom printing issue.  The IP listed in the printing appears to be pointing to one of the Orbi Satellites doing the printing via port 9100.

How can I resolve this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the Armor feature been enabled on your system? If so, then disable Armor and see if this helps any. 

@bbattjer wrote:

Hi @Blanca_O I have the same phantom printing issue.  The IP listed in the printing appears to be pointing to one of the Orbi Satellites doing the printing via port 9100.

How can I resolve this?

Message 28 of 58
larryindublin
Luminary

I'm also having the same issue with my Orbi W/Armor and an HP Color Laserjet. Same 3 pages for several weeks now and always when Armor does it's weekly device scan. I paid for Armor so turning it off is not a "fix". Netgear needs to fix this or have Bitdefender (the underlying tech behind armor) fix it. I'm finally at my wits end with my Orbi. I was one of the ones having 0 issues, no resets needed, accepted every firmware... This last one has the family fuming and my ability to work from home suffering. Very close to seeing what Black Friday sales come out from other Router companies and hoping Costco will still take these back even almost 2 years later...

Message 29 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support and let them know your having problems with Armor as others are seeing as well. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

I'd post abou this in the Armor forum as well.https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor
Either disable the app or disconnect the printer from WiFi and temporarily connect it via ethernet or USB to a PC.

Nothing else we can help you with. You'll have to be patient and wait for NG and the Armor app people to fix this. 

Good Luck. 

@larryindublin wrote:

I'm also having the same issue with my Orbi W/Armor and an HP Color Laserjet. Same 3 pages for several weeks now and always when Armor does it's weekly device scan. I paid for Armor so turning it off is not a "fix". Netgear needs to fix this or have Bitdefender (the underlying tech behind armor) fix it. I'm finally at my wits end with my Orbi. I was one of the ones having 0 issues, no resets needed, accepted every firmware... This last one has the family fuming and my ability to work from home suffering. Very close to seeing what Black Friday sales come out from other Router companies and hoping Costco will still take these back even almost 2 years later...

Message 30 of 58
Vulcat
Tutor

I have Orbi RBR40 with 2 Satellites, I have and Epson Workforce WF-2650, Epson XP-7100, Epson XP-6000, and Brother HL-L2360DW printers all attached wirelessly to network, all the printers have updated FW along with the Orbi, During the last two Security scans all 4 printers printed the following:

HEAD / HTTP/1.1

Host: <printer IP>:9100

User-Agent: curl/7.59.0

Accept: */*

OPTIONS * RTSP/1.0

CSeq: 1

GET / HTTP/1.1

other than disabling the security, is there a fix to stop the printing on all the printers?

Thanks,

Don Harries

vulcat@gmail.com

Message 31 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support and let them know your having problems with Armor as others are seeing as well. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

I'd post about this in the Armor forum as well.https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor
Either disable the app or disconnect the printer from WiFi and temporarily connect it via ethernet or USB to a PC.

You'll have to be patient and wait for NG and the Armor app people to fix this. 

@Vulcat wrote:

I have Orbi RBR40 with 2 Satellites, I have and Epson Workforce WF-2650, Epson XP-7100, Epson XP-6000, and Brother HL-L2360DW printers all attached wirelessly to network, all the printers have updated FW along with the Orbi, During the last two Security scans all 4 printers printed the following:

HEAD / HTTP/1.1

OPTIONS * RTSP/1.0

CSeq: 1

GET / HTTP/1.1

other than disabling the security, is there a fix to stop the printing on all the printers?

Thanks,

Don Harries

vulcat@gmail.com

Message 32 of 58
starsailor
Initiate

I have the same issue as OP. Can you please tell me how I can fix it? Thank you!

Message 33 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have Armor or Circle enabled? If so, disable them both. 

@starsailor wrote:

I have the same issue as OP. Can you please tell me how I can fix it? Thank you!

Message 34 of 58
larryindublin
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@starsailor wrote:

I have armor installed (not circle) and have an HP MFP Color Laserjet. I used to get the 3 pages of "crap" when armor scanned the system but haven't seen it in quite a few months now. I did do a firmware update on the printer so make sure you are running the latest available.

Message 35 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know that Armor works with your Printer. Seems like there is two sides fo the fence here, Printer FW and router FW as well. 

Glad it's working for you. 
Enoy. Smiley Wink

@larryindublin wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@starsailor wrote:

I have armor installed (not circle) and have an HP MFP Color Laserjet. I used to get the 3 pages of "crap" when armor scanned the system but haven't seen it in quite a few months now. I did do a firmware update on the printer so make sure you are running the latest available.

Message 36 of 58
user356
Guide

I started this string over a year ago.  This is what I know.  

1.  Once a week (for me it's every Saturday) printer spits out 3 pages with connection verifications.

2.  Netgear, Bianca and associates,  worked on this several times initially and finally asked me to down load a beta software to see if that made a difference.  I could not download the Beta Software.  Got real compentent help and it still would not download.  So dead end.

3.  Yes, you can stop the security software, Armor, but that leaves my wifi open to outside access, I think.  Chose to keep Armor active and system security intact.

4.  One individual said he got rid of the problem by connecting his printer with a hardline.

5.  I gave up and it continued to print weekly for a while then quit, several weeks later it printed out again and then has not been printing for at least the last month or so.

6.  My sense of the problem is Armor is pinging all its pathways to verify connection, etc.  Maybe they fixed it with a softwar update, intentional or otherwise.  My understanding is the Armor is a security software Netgear aquires from another vendor.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Disabling Armor does NOT leave your wifi open to out side access. So you can disable Armor to stop the odd printing if you want too. 

@user356 wrote:

I started this string over a year ago.  This is what I know.  

1.  Once a week (for me it's every Saturday) printer spits out 3 pages with connection verifications.

2.  Netgear, Bianca and associates,  worked on this several times initially and finally asked me to down load a beta software to see if that made a difference.  I could not download the Beta Software.  Got real compentent help and it still would not download.  So dead end.

3.  Yes, you can stop the security software, Armor, but that leaves my wifi open to outside access, I think.  Chose to keep Armor active and system security intact.

4.  One individual said he got rid of the problem by connecting his printer with a hardline.

5.  I gave up and it continued to print weekly for a while then quit, several weeks later it printed out again and then has not been printing for at least the last month or so.

6.  My sense of the problem is Armor is pinging all its pathways to verify connection, etc.  Maybe they fixed it with a softwar update, intentional or otherwise.  My understanding is the Armor is a security software Netgear aquires from another vendor.

Message 38 of 58
user356
Guide

If Armor does not stop intrusions into the wifi connection between Orbi and my equipment what does it do?  I have other anti-virus protection covering the hardwired portions of my system.

Message 39 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFi Security is the first defence. As along as you have WPA2 and AES enabled. Your safe. 

Armor is for over all security for data passing thru the wired and wifi connections in and out from the internet. 

You can use this if you want too. Just there seems to be odd problems with it causing garbage pages on printers for unknown reasons. Something to post in the Armor about:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Message 40 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

@user356 wrote:

If Armor does not stop intrusions into the wifi connection between Orbi and my equipment what does it do?  I have other anti-virus protection covering the hardwired portions of my system.

Having elected to ignore Bitdefender Armor, I have no personal experience to relate.  The Netgear web page describing Armor makes it pretty clear that the primary focus is on substituting Bitdefender for any existing Antivirus/Antimalware software on devices:

https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/   This is almost certainly the reason there is a charge for Armor after the "free trial period."

In addition, the product seems to conduct external scans of every device on the local network, probing for vulnerabilities and reporting them.  This activity is what caused certain HP printers to spit out those mysterious three pages.  I have no clue "what else" it does.  Other security products, for example, do "deep packet inspection" on internet traffic, blocking suspicious email attachments and the like.

Doesn't seem especially transparent, does it?

My guess is the 2,500-odd posts on the Armor community forum, especially the FAQ post in the "Stickies" (at the top) might provide more details. https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor 

Message 41 of 58
Joi007
Tutor

Reading through the threads about this odd problem it seems to me that this issue happens most on the ORBI system?  Does anyone else agree?

Message 42 of 58
srs51
Aspirant

I just posted this, and very soon after found the "UNWANTED PRINTING" topic

I installed my Orbi RBR20 system late last year, and generally like it.  No issues, but since moving to the ORBI with 2 satelites there have been multiple ocassions where both of the printers in my network print three single-page copies as follows:

HEAD  /  HTTP/1.1

Host:    192.168.1.12:9100

User-Agent:  curl/7.59.0

The remainder of each page is blank.  The two printers are:

1, an HP laserjet connected to an ORBI satelite using its RJ-45 port and Cat 6 cable; and

2. a Canon MCF color laser printer connected to the Base Station using its RJ-45 port and Cat 6 cable

This never happened until after I started using the ORBI components.  I used an Apple Airport Extreme previously.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  If yes, were you able to stop it from happening?  Thanks, Steven

At least I am not imagining it!  Has anyone figured out what to do other than ask Netgear to address it?  Thanks, Steven

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 43 of 58
larryindublin
Luminary

All I can say is that I had this issue with my Orbi RBK53 (1 Router, 2 Sat) setup and HP color laserjet but it went away after a printer firmware upgrade. Also running latest version on the Orbi system.

Message 44 of 58
user356
Guide

Same here, as last responder.  HP- Orbi 53, print pages as you describe.  Solutions are uninstall armor and use your own virus protection.  And is seems it eventrually (months) goes away.  Do your armor, orbi and hp updates first and see if that just fixes it in  a week or two.  Mine printer out every Saturday.  If no joy dump the Armor.

Message 45 of 58
Carlosam
Aspirant

I get the same unwanted printing on my hp printers. Any fix? Wasting 30 sheets per week
Message 46 of 58
Carlosam
Aspirant

I have two new wireless HP printers, OJ7740 and LJ148. Since installed Orbi (security activated), I get 3 pages printed per unit every day. Total waste of paper. Any fix?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 47 of 58
larryindublin
Luminary

@Carlosam wrote:
I have two new wireless HP printers, OJ7740 and LJ148. Since installed Orbi (security activated), I get 3 pages printed per unit every day. Total waste of paper. Any fix?

I had the problem for months with my HP Color Laserjet. It resolved after a printer firmware upgrade and also I am running my RBK53 set on latest 2.5.1.16... Printer is still on wifi and still running armor.

Message 48 of 58
Mikey94025
Hero

While Netgear searches for a way to make the Armor security scan not trigger unwanted prints from networked printers, those of you with HP printers may be able to disable Web Services to stop the prints (I do not use Armor and have not verified this solution):

The HP Web Services feature allows you to email yourself or use Google Cloud Printing on your HP printer.  If you don't use these features then you can safely turn it off and see if this resolves your unwanted prints.

Message 49 of 58
Mikey94025
Hero

Sorry, I didn't get the first link right...

While Netgear searches for a way to make the Armor security scan not trigger unwanted prints from networked printers, those of you with HP printers may be able to disable Web Services to stop the prints (I do not use Armor and have not verified this solution):

The HP Web Services feature allows you to email yourself or use Google Cloud Printing on your HP printer.  If you don't use these features then you can safely turn it off and see if this resolves your unwanted prints.

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7