Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Vulnerability scan triggers HP printer to print pages

Surffa
Apprentice

Vulnerability scan triggers HP printer to print pages

Hi all.
It appears that the Armor vulnerability scan always causes my HP Laser printer to print three pages, containing a client version or similar. E.g. curl and version number or so.

I'm quite sure it's some print service that I'm having enabled in the printer, but does anyone by any chance have a clue what it might be?

It's both annoying and wasting paper that the scan seems to run every week.

And btw the vuln scan come back green and no vulnerabilities detected.
Message 1 of 50

Accepted Solutions
Surffa
Apprentice

Now I have been running 2.5.1.16 for quite some time and so far not a single page has been printed out.

So perhaps this update finally fixed the issue.

Finally. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 50 of 50

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Part of the vulnerability checks (not limitet to Armor) is sending some test data to the ports to be tested - if these are printer ports, this can lead to some garbage on the printer paper.

What would you expect as a solution?

Message 2 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

Well. Whatever the way would be, not to switch off the printer all the time and not getting garbage out of the printer.

Effectively I'd like to know if there are certain settings I could try to turn off from the printer without making printing too difficult, or disable Armor from doing those checks that are causing garbage getting printed.

Anyway, I don't think it's anyone's benefit printing several pages of garbage every week or making printing difficult.
Message 3 of 50

I have a Samsung Multifunctional printer and I also have the same issue occuring. My printer is kept on all the time but goes into a low power mode after not in use for a while. 

This has to be something that can be changed in a future firmware or software update. Shouldn't be to difficult to come up with a solution I would think.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

Meanwhile I googled around and it seems to be a common symptom with different network printer and vulnerability scanners. Annoying anyway and should be solvable somehow..

I also got a contact to Bitdefender support and they at least told me they would look at the matter. Which now reminds me that I've forgotten to give them dumps that they requested.. *sigh*
Message 5 of 50
tolidano
Aspirant

This also happened to me when I set up my 3-pack Orbi yesterday.

Needless to say, my first concern was if someone had gotten into my network.

If this is going to happen with Armor, how about you say something to that effect ahead of time.

Go ahead and tell your customers, "your printer might print garbage, don't worry, it's fine"

And when you realize how silly that is, you will think, "maybe we should fix the problem"

You have the MAC address, you can easily determine it is a printer.

You can then skip sending traffic to the RTSP port (9100).

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 50
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @tolidano, the fix for the issue is currently under testing. We will provide an update once available.

Dexter

Message 7 of 50
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @tolidano, as a temporary fix, you can remove the printers from being scanned by Armor. You can do that by logging in to armor.netgear.com and clicking on the router > click on "See all devices on this router" > look for the device/s (printer) that you want to remove > click on the ellipsis (three dots) on the far right > click on Remove.

Dexter

Message 8 of 50
Eg2020
Tutor

Hi Dexter - Unfortunately this fix is too temporary. After a couple of hours the removed printer is automatically restored. 

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @tolidano, as a temporary fix, you can remove the printers from being scanned by Armor. You can do that by logging in to armor.netgear.com and clicking on the router > click on "See all devices on this router" > look for the device/s (printer) that you want to remove > click on the ellipsis (three dots) on the far right > click on Remove.

Dexter

Message 9 of 50
sendit_y0da
Aspirant

Hi, Also experienced this today on my new RBK23 setup for the first time and initially panicked as I thought I had someone on my network doing a bit of reconnaisance! 

Looking forward to that fix 🙂

Message 10 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Hello,

this is waisting my printer ink & paper!

any updates on netgear fixing this?!

Message 11 of 50
sendit_y0da
Aspirant

I haven’t seen any update and won’t be subscribing to this Armor service after the 30 day free trial ends on 3rd January. I haven’t found it that useful and the unwanted printing issue is annoying.
Message 12 of 50
tolidano
Aspirant

I also think it is responsible for flickering (and ultimately bricking) one of my LIFX Color 1000 bulbs. And any other WiFi connected lights.
Message 13 of 50
sendit_y0da
Aspirant

I have a couple of LIFX bulbs too and thankfully haven't had that issue! Trial expired so will now remain deactivated. Might give it a go another day if they sort the printing.

Message 14 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

I’m really impressed with Netgear tech support! All I did was post here that I was having the printing problem & they reached out & helped me fix my issue... I’m running RBR20 (Router) & RBS20 (sats). It’s been 3 days since updating to the HOTFIX firmware (first on sats, then router).... no more wasted paper/ink!
Message 15 of 50
Muvez
Aspirant

I've been having the same issue. Came back from a trip to a small stack of paper in my printer. Is the hotfix firmware available? Or it this issue solved in RBR50 firmware version 2.5.1.8?

Thanks!

Message 16 of 50
haroldso
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. NETGEAR support please come with a hotfix!
Message 17 of 50
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all, this has been reported to engineering and is currently being worked on. We will provide an update once available.

Dexter

Message 18 of 50
gkakkar
Aspirant

Is there an ETA by when this issue will be resolved? I have been having the same issue since I enabled Netgear armor security.

Message 19 of 50
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gkakkar, no definite ETA as of this time.

Dexter

Message 20 of 50
sendit_y0da
Aspirant

Not holding my breath on this and tbh not that bothered anymore, I have not renewed subscription as a result. 

Message 21 of 50
Mark382
Initiate

I now have a stack of curl/7.59 printed paper.
Please fix this ASAP.
Message 22 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

I was told I was the only RB20 that has reported the print issue, they have only confirmed the RB50 to have the issue, so if you have RB20 I need you to reach out, so they can see this issue isn’t isolated to just the RB50.
Message 23 of 50
Rthurber
Aspirant

I have the RBR20 and have the printing issue as a result of the vulnerability scan as well. Need a hotfix to stop the wasting of ink and paper.
Message 24 of 50
sendit_y0da
Aspirant

Look at the start date of this thread and others like it. Clearly not a high priority for Netgear to fix. I didn't bother subscribing after trial and didn't see much value in the service anyway. If you're interested in this sort of thing and have the time/skills look at running openvas on docker on your network.

Message 25 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7