Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Vulnerability scan triggers HP printer to print pages

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all, this is still being worked on by engineering.

Dexter

Message 26 of 50
JBDJr
Aspirant

Even though I'm supposed to be active until 6/23/2020, I've diabled Armor Security on my router. Sending curl commands to my new HP printer, and having three pages print is not acceptable. Fix the Armor Security. Maybe I'll be back.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 50
wamonite
Guide

Have just posted on another forum thread, and as requested earlier in this one, can confirm I'm seeing this on the RBR20. Thanks, W

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

I just got an email from Bitdefender support to my ticket there stating that a new Orbi Firmware should fix this issue.

Let's see when it arrives, at least in my case there is no new firmware available yet.
Message 29 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Sadly RBR20 still has no FW fix
Message 30 of 50
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Adrian97c, 

We recently released a new FW for the RBR/RBS20. Please refer to the link below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061794/RBR20-RBS20-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30

Christian

Message 31 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Sorry, but I’m been running 2.3.5.36 which is a higher FW.... it was sent to me months ago from a tech support agent.
The bug fix notes on the link you provided doesn’t mention printing issue. So which is most recent? .36 or .30?
Message 32 of 50
sendit_y0da
Aspirant

how do I unsubscribe from this thread? I am not interested in this anymore.

edit: figured it out 🙂 bye

thx

Message 33 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

.30 was distributed (at least to me) just a few days ago. I know that .36 has been available as a HOT FIX release for ages, so I was also surprised to see .30 coming out now.

So I would tend to say that .30 is way newer release, but maybe then feature wise it's stripped version of the .36. I can't explain the numbering any other way. 

Anyway. .30 release notes don't mention anything about Armor updates, or barely anything useful at all. So it's hard to tell what's the real difference there.

Message 34 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

Ah btw.  My weekly scheduled vulnerability scan is due on Sunday. I was planning to keep the printer on this time to see if there's any difference. I'll give another post afterwards.

Message 35 of 50
Eg2020
Tutor

Updated firmware to 2.5.1.8. Had to do it manually as the in-app update no longer functions (iPhone). So far so good re the four junk pages printing. However, my toner ran out on Sunday and UPS was only able to get my "next day" shipment here on Friday (today). So, I missed Wednesday this week when my scan normally takes place. Will know for certain this worked next week. Good luck all.

Message 36 of 50
JBDJr
Aspirant

Here's what appears to be release dates (or close to) for the Firmware:

2.5.1.8 released on or about 12/19/2019

2.3.5.30 released on or about 7/15/2019

2.3.1.60 released on or about 5/7/2019

There are notes on each release that require you to make a determination as to whether the release applies to your particular product or not.

You should be careful.

Anyway, the release dates would suggest that there has not been a recent release since the 2.5.1.8 on 12/19/2019.

Let the Netgear experts refute this!

Regards

Message 37 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

I think you are now mixing devices?

From what I searched before, your dates might fit 40 series(?), but not the 20 that was linked above and at least I was now talking about.

That KB support document regarding .30 is also fairly recently dated, so it shouldn't be too old. And I can guarantee that it hasn't been available for my devices before this week..
Message 38 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Doing a manual downgrade from .36 to .30 on my RBR20, let’s see how this works.
Message 39 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Downgrading to .30 from .36 did NOT fix the printing issue.
Message 40 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

@Adrian97c that's curious, as my RBR20 has now been running .30 SW for 1,5 weeks now.

Assuming the old schedule, it should've been printing twice, which it hasn't.

Printer still seems to work, so I have sort of a feeling that for my HP, which I originally reported the problem with, is now somehow in order with the Armor.

Message 41 of 50
Eg2020
Tutor

I can confirm that 2.5.1.8 on my RB50 stops the printing issue upon weekly scan. Thank you Netgear, much appreciated for the fix. 

Message 42 of 50
CVGRich
Aspirant

I had the same issue.  NG advised to update the firmware.  That did not fix the problem.

They then advised me to do a factory reset on the router (which now had the updated firmware).

That stopped the problem.

Hope it works for you.

Message 43 of 50
Adrian97c
Apprentice

I did reset (which turned out to be a nightmare) but let’s see if this helps. On a side note, coincidently this morning the tech working on my case emailed me saying that the NEW FW will be out in may.
Message 44 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

All right. So now after quite some time the printer printed out the garbage pages again. So I now switched the printer off again and let's see about the next FW update again.

So definitely this is still not fixed.

Why the behavior is not consistent every week is strange, did the vulnerability scan interval change, or is the Armor behavior simply no longer consistent.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 45 of 50
Corbetw1
Aspirant

Any solutions to this. I have an Orbi system with armor, fully activated, updated drivers, and I have 2 different HP printers printing the same 3 pages every single night.
Message 46 of 50
JBDJr
Aspirant

I turned Armor off. Solved. I don't print three pages every week. I won't renew

@Corbetw1 wrote:
Any solutions to this. I have an Orbi system with armor, fully activated, updated drivers, and I have 2 different HP printers printing the same 3 pages every single night.

Message 47 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

Yeah. Sure. No one needs a security solution before it's too late. For me this deal is still just a no-brainer. Even without network level protection there is no better deal for such a well reputed product anywhere.

Anyway. Looking back a few posts, at this point only reasonable recommendation is to be patient for a while. We know already that Bitdefender has already implemented a real solution and Netgear is integrating it. Sure it has taken frustratingly long, but all the signs are pointing to that it could appear soonish. If it then even works, remains to be seen.
Message 48 of 50
Eg2020
Tutor

When you say updated drivers, which firmware version? The update through the app has not worked for several versions. You have to log in as administrator via a web browser and do a manual firmware update. This got rid of the printer issue for me.
Message 49 of 50
Surffa
Apprentice

Now I have been running 2.5.1.16 for quite some time and so far not a single page has been printed out.

So perhaps this update finally fixed the issue.

Finally. Thanks.
Message 50 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7