Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: When will the Armor will be implemented for Nighthawk R8000P

sreeni_n92
Tutor

When will the Armor will be implemented for Nighthawk R8000P

When will the Armor will be implemented & available for Nighthawk R8000P ?

(I see its available for R8000 models now)

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi,

Yes, I was just typing a post to let people know that we have started releasing the firmware in batches. If you are eager to get started, please manually update the firmware by following instructions in https://kb.netgear.com/000061737/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-50 and then you can activate Armor 30-day free trial by following https://kb.netgear.com/000059442/How-do-I-activate-NETGEAR-Armor-using-the-Nighthawk-app.

@SimonB1979 Unfortunately, the subscription transfer is NOT automatic - it's tied to original device. @DarrenM please DM @SimonB1979 to get his information so we can transfer the sub over. 

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 22

All Replies

Its availble on the R8000P now (1.4.1.42) - I just installed this FW a few weeks ago and ignored its prompt.  You can purchase BitDefender outright, no need to go through Netgear for it. 

Message 2 of 22
myersw
Master

@shadowsports wrote:

You can purchase BitDefender outright, no need to go through Netgear for it. 

Have run BitDefender for years on PC's and MAC. Never an issue, just works and protects. Keeps coming with more extensions for browsers to cover more possibilities of bad folks trying to do something. They also make a box that sits between the modem and router if you like the sounds of Armor. I am not sure how much additional load Armor puts on the CPU in the router, that would be a concern of mine. 

Message 3 of 22
cfansoon
Tutor

I don't think R8000P can activate Armor, otherwise why netgear's website does not list it under their Armor router list? while R7000P is listed along-side  R7000.

If R8000P can activate Armor, I will go to my local computer store to purchase it immediately.

I went to my local computer store yesterday, they have R8000P and R8500, but don't have R8000.

They said R8000 is an old model, R8000P is newer, they are not going to re-stock R8000.

Message 4 of 22
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi all,

I am the PLM at NETGEAR for R8000P. We are, at this point, actively working on Armor support on R8000P - it's in external beta and QA phase. We hope to roll it out before end of the year. We will be testing it to make sure there's no loss of performance. 

Thank you for your interest. 

Message 5 of 22
myersw
Master

@AbhayB wrote:

Hi all,

I am the PLM at NETGEAR for R8000P. We are, at this point, actively working on Armor support on R8000P - it's in external beta and QA phase. We hope to roll it out before end of the year. We will be testing it to make sure there's no loss of performance. 

@AbhayB 

How many features are going bye bye with the addition of Armor on the r8000p like DLNA and TimeMachine? Was a surprise to folks that had a router and added latest firmware and then poof things they were using were gone. Netgear has done very poorly in announcing these changes. The answer of well don't update then is not a good answer. That then means if a security update comes out the user cannot update for the security fix without losing a feature they are counting on. Really bad form. With the way firmware support has been in the last year it appears no one is paying any attention. Same bugs for a year with multiple firmware updates. Made me trash a r8000 and r8000p and go else where. Watching the forums things do not seem to be improving. 

Other thing is if folks looked around they would find two vendors offering a similar security package for no charge and have the features that Netgear dropped. Probably better firmware and support as well from what I read on forums. 

Message 6 of 22
cfansoon
Tutor

Wow, that is great.

I just bought a R8000P yesterday for my another network.

Now waiting for the armor.

Message 7 of 22
CFS_3764
Tutor

@AbhayB wrote:

Hi all,

Could I install the beta version armor on my R8000P?

I bought this router few days ago.

I understand the beta version is not fully optimized for R8000P yet, so I understand it is on my own risk to use beta version, and I will not post complain about this beta vesion in this forum.

Message 8 of 22
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have passed on your request internally. It may take some time to get back but you can DM me if you don't hear back in a week or so. 

Message 9 of 22
SimonB1979
Star

@AbhayB 😇

Could I also have a copy of the beta R8000P FW please? 👏🏻

Simon 🤓

Message 10 of 22
d-lux
Aspirant

Has this been released yet?

I can not seem to figure out how to get the Armor feature running on my R8000P.

Any inuput helps!

Message 11 of 22
sreeni_n92
Tutor

Hi Abhay, Any update on this? Could you pls update when the new firmware will be released (with Armor feature) ?

Message 12 of 22
SimonB1979
Star

@AbhayB 🤓

yep! an update would be nice! 👍🏻

Armor works quite well on my R8000 but would obviously prefer it on R8000P instead! 👏🏻

Message 13 of 22
rarrivera
Aspirant

Hi Abhay,

I Would love to be part of the Armor Beta to. I'm a network engineer and PC support tech. This would be something I would use extensively. Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,

Raymond

Message 14 of 22
SimonB1979
Star

Any News Guys? 😇

Message 15 of 22
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay to reply post new year with holidays and our rocking CES show. With additional testing schedule, at this point, it looks like it may be released next month. I will try my best to ensure that it doesn't get pushed out.

Message 16 of 22
rarrivera
Aspirant

Ok thanks for responding. I look forward to another solid Netgear app.

Message 17 of 22
sreeni_n92
Tutor

Hi @AbhayB ,

Any update on the firmware update release (with Armour) for R8000P ?

Message 18 of 22
SimonB1979
Star

New FW installed and Armor is working canny! 👍🏻

I appear to be on a 30 day Trial even though I've got 175 days left on my sub but hopefully that'll sort itself out! 😀

Message 19 of 22
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi,

Yes, I was just typing a post to let people know that we have started releasing the firmware in batches. If you are eager to get started, please manually update the firmware by following instructions in https://kb.netgear.com/000061737/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-50 and then you can activate Armor 30-day free trial by following https://kb.netgear.com/000059442/How-do-I-activate-NETGEAR-Armor-using-the-Nighthawk-app.

@SimonB1979 Unfortunately, the subscription transfer is NOT automatic - it's tied to original device. @DarrenM please DM @SimonB1979 to get his information so we can transfer the sub over. 

Message 20 of 22
SimonB1979
Star

@AbhayB @DarrenM 👍🏻

yep I'll need my Armor Sub transfered from my R8000 to the R8000p! 👍🏻

The Routers (including serial numbers) are registered to my Netgear Email so there shouldn't be any problem! 🍺

Simon

Message 21 of 22
rinthos
Luminary

Hello, I just wanted to say Thank You for being transparent about adding Armor to the R8000P!  I've activated the trial and plan to purchase the subscription before it ends.  Thanks for continuing to invest in this product, and for the continued support, much appreciated!
@AbhayB wrote:

Hi,

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7