Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Wi-Fi Routers support LACP / LAG and also Armor?

dacoba
Aspirant

Which Wi-Fi Routers support LACP / LAG and also Armor?

I have an R7000 WiFi-Router (Firmware V1.0.11.110_10.2.100) with Armor installed. Working good.

I also have a NAS RN212 (ReadyNAS OS 6.10.4) with 2 Ethernet cards. I've read the 2 NIC's can be linked/aggregated using a router that is capable of that. This would result in one virtual connection to (almost) double the transfer rate.

I don't know much about link aggregation. I've searched and read, but most of what I have found is here on the Netgear site in User Guides for these products.

However, I have not found any Netgear WiFi-Routers with Armor and LACP/LAG. Do any exist?

I think the R7000 (which does not have link aggregation) is not able to supply the fastest performance for the NAS. I have both NAS Ethernet cards connected, but it doesn't seem to be using both of them.

Question 1: I think I would like to find another Netgear router with Armor and LACP / LAG (and faster WiFi). I found the R8500, it has link aggregation, but does not have Armor. Will the R8500 be given firmware update to include Armor? (It did not come up in searches on Netgear site. Found it in a web search and located its info buried on Netgear. Is it even an active product or discontinued?)

Question 2: Is there a another way to connect the NAS to the R7000 that will increase speed? If I bond the 2 Ethernet cards in the NAS, is that same/similar to LACP or LAG? Will that work with the R7000? If I do that, do I connect the NAS with 1 or 2 Ethernet cables? I have been unable to find complete details on using the bonding method.

I know, too many questions, but many thanks in advance. I could really use some input here. Grateful for your attention and support. 👍

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router, RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Which Wi-Fi Routers support LACP / LAG and also Armor?

@dacoba wrote:

I also have a NAS RN212 (ReadyNAS OS 6.10.4) with 2 Ethernet cards. I've read the 2 NIC's can be linked/aggregated using a router that is capable of that. This would result in one virtual connection to (almost) double the transfer rate.

Two points off the questionnaire: The LAG will allow two client systems to reach a higher total throughput - not for a single one. If you had an Intel based ReadyNAS OS 6 system with at least four HDDs, I would go the link aggregation way. With the ARM based (it's not a bad system) but just two mechanical HDD it's unlikely you will get double the speed as expected.

Message 2 of 3
dacoba
Aspirant

Re: Which Wi-Fi Routers support LACP / LAG and also Armor?

Thank you for that information. Good to know. I believe you're indicating I'm already running at close to top speed possible with my current hardware. Guess I'll move on and let this be what it is... a slower system than anticipated. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7