Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: armor on r8000

Gtmsb
Aspirant

armor on r8000

I did a factory rest of my router and now Armor is not installed. How do I go about getting this installed again? I also have deleted the app on my android phone and installed it.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
rinthos
Luminary

@Gtmsb wrote:

I did a factory rest of my router and now Armor is not installed. How do I go about getting this installed again? I also have deleted the app on my android phone and installed it.

Yeah it's not the most intuitive (Hope Netgear is noticing the trend....) so a few things...

* Assuming you are still running the same firmware version you had before with Armor. If you downgraded firmware in addition to the factory reset, you'll need to upgrade again to a version with Armor support...(doesn't sound like this is an issue for you, but just incase... 🙂 ).

* I would uninstall the Nighthawk app from your Android device and re-install the Nighthawk app.  Then have your Android device on your local WiFi network (any of them from your Nighthawk R8000 router is fine, 2.4ghz, 5ghz, or 5ghz-2).

* Launch the Nighthawk app, and when it finds your router, it may prompt for your router admin credentials. If so, enter those.

* If at Anytime you get prompted for your Netgear ID, go ahead and login.  This sometimes happens at different points in time for me...NOTE: you MUST use the same Netgear account that you have Netgear Armor enabled on.  That is, when you go to https://armor.netgear.com  and login, you should use the same credentials if prompted on the Nighthawk app for your Netgear ID.

* Now in the Nighthawk App, you likely see your Router at the top, with icons below (Device Manager, Internet Speed, Security, etc).  Assuming Netgear Armor is Disabled, this is the weird party...click the HOME button at the top-left of the Nighthawk screen..NOT the security tab or buttons below the router picture...The Home button at the top-left.  This will bring up a Nighthawk list with "Settings, More From Netgear, New Setup, Support" etc...  Click SETTINGS.

* Now on the Settings screen, you will see "Router Settings, Wifi Settings, Security, etc.".  Choose "Security" here.

* This should bring you to a screen that literally has one setting "Enable Netgear Armor".  Turn it on, and again if prompted to Login, use your existing Netgear ID (Armor login).

You should be good to go at this point, but give it a few minutes while you start getting notifications on your device (a device has connected, or armor has scanned a device, etc).  

I've noticed that not all devices seem to get scanned right away, and may take up to a week before the scanning cycle hits, but web filtering etc. is definately working and Armor is running.  I'd wait for a few hours before rebooting your router, just in case (so as not to interrupt whatever the heck the bitdefender processes on the router are doing due to activation).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
rinthos
Luminary

@Gtmsb wrote:

Yeah it's not the most intuitive (Hope Netgear is noticing the trend....) so a few things...

* Assuming you are still running the same firmware version you had before with Armor. If you downgraded firmware in addition to the factory reset, you'll need to upgrade again to a version with Armor support...(doesn't sound like this is an issue for you, but just incase... 🙂 ).

* I would uninstall the Nighthawk app from your Android device and re-install the Nighthawk app.  Then have your Android device on your local WiFi network (any of them from your Nighthawk R8000 router is fine, 2.4ghz, 5ghz, or 5ghz-2).

* Launch the Nighthawk app, and when it finds your router, it may prompt for your router admin credentials. If so, enter those.

* If at Anytime you get prompted for your Netgear ID, go ahead and login.  This sometimes happens at different points in time for me...NOTE: you MUST use the same Netgear account that you have Netgear Armor enabled on.  That is, when you go to https://armor.netgear.com  and login, you should use the same credentials if prompted on the Nighthawk app for your Netgear ID.

* Now in the Nighthawk App, you likely see your Router at the top, with icons below (Device Manager, Internet Speed, Security, etc).  Assuming Netgear Armor is Disabled, this is the weird party...click the HOME button at the top-left of the Nighthawk screen..NOT the security tab or buttons below the router picture...The Home button at the top-left.  This will bring up a Nighthawk list with "Settings, More From Netgear, New Setup, Support" etc...  Click SETTINGS.

* Now on the Settings screen, you will see "Router Settings, Wifi Settings, Security, etc.".  Choose "Security" here.

* This should bring you to a screen that literally has one setting "Enable Netgear Armor".  Turn it on, and again if prompted to Login, use your existing Netgear ID (Armor login).

You should be good to go at this point, but give it a few minutes while you start getting notifications on your device (a device has connected, or armor has scanned a device, etc).  

I've noticed that not all devices seem to get scanned right away, and may take up to a week before the scanning cycle hits, but web filtering etc. is definately working and Armor is running.  I'd wait for a few hours before rebooting your router, just in case (so as not to interrupt whatever the heck the bitdefender processes on the router are doing due to activation).

Message 2 of 4
Gtmsb
Aspirant

Thank you. I downgraded firmware. Thats the part I was not doing.

Message 3 of 4
rinthos
Luminary

@Gtmsb wrote:

Thank you. I downgraded firmware. Thats the part I was not doing.

Ahhh, glad that did the trick.  Hopefully over time this will become less complicated, as Netgear did recently add Armor to existing products, so handling it has been a bit awkward, but it has been improving over the past few months...(still a ways to go).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7