Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to ssh using root account

Shaimaa
Aspirant

unable to ssh using root account

I installed the ssh add-on but cannot access using the root acount, it gives access denied.

What is the default password and how to reset it without making a factory reset as I just did it a few days ago.

Model: RND4000v2 (ReadyNAS NV+ v2)|READYNAS NV+ v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: unable to ssh using root account

Hi @Shaimaa

Welcome to the Community!

The root password should be the same as the admin password, if you still have it set to default try password.

You can do an OS-Reinstall to reset the Password or if you have setup the Password recovery. Here's a guide to do an OS-Reinstall.

Regards

Message 2 of 4
RobM1000
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm using a ReadyNAS RN212 as a Plex media server, no issues there for the past year. I now want to log onto the NAS as root via SSH, so that I can find and backup folder(s) that contain Plex metadata (these folders are not visible on the ReadyNAS Admin page).  I followed all instructions in this article: https://kb.netgear.com/30070/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-log-in-using-a-public-private-key-pair.  All works OK until I try to login to user root via Putty.  The NAS clearly accepts the passphrase (if I type it wrong, I get a clear message that it's wrong), but then the Putty window immediately closes.  Putty's log results are as follows:

login as: root 
  Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20190211"
  Passphrase for key "rsa-key-20190211":
  Rejected

I tried this multiple times, confirming I'm not missing any steps, but it seems there is something missing.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Rob

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 3 of 4
RobM1000
Aspirant

One additional comment -- I'm running the latest firmware available for the RN212, version 6.9.5.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7