Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 - Firewall Rules for Internet/WAN -> Router and Internet/WAN -> Port Forwarding -&am

schumaku
Guru

BR500 - Firewall Rules for Internet/WAN -> Router and Internet/WAN -> Port Forwarding -> LAN?

Reading the BR500 documentations up and down - even on the n-th attempt late night I can't find if the new Insight Router has controls (strongly required nowadays) the ability to configure IPv4 and IPv6 Firewall Rules for Internet/WAN -> Router and Internet/WAN -> Port Forwarding -> LAN.

Looks like Netgear does try again to forward what is missing (for I don't know how long) on the standalone managed consumer Nighthawk, Orbi, or business Orbi Pro, and WAC510 routers. Curious when Netgear does arrive in the 21st century of simple small business and SOHO routers. That's what all Insight managed devices are supposed to be @johngm, isn't it?  

Message 1 of 7
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Re: BR500 - Firewall Rules for Internet/WAN -> Router and Internet/WAN -> Port Forwarding -&gt

The initial Insight support for BR500 focuses on VPN setup and VLAN setup, your message is well taken, we plan to support firewall configuration in future version. 

Thank you!

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: BR500 - Firewall Rules for Internet/WAN -> Router and Internet/WAN -> Port Forwarding -&am

Hello @YeZ,

During today BR500 Webinar presentation it was mentioned that this feature should exist already, but has not made it into the documentation. What is correct now? A configurable firewall is a core feature for a very basic SOHO or small business router. We might be fine with a local Web management while Insight mode is on. Many other things are optional - like IDS, deep packet inspection, policy enforcements, ...   And if you think that I'm picky - yes, the VPN feature (as nice as it looks) has gained far to much momentum in the marketing of this product. 

I hope you understand that when I'm talking of firewall rules I expect an object oriented platform, where IP addresses, IP address groups, port sets, sets of multiple IP subnets, and much more are objects - so we have to change things just once, and not in many different locations (error prone) like NAT port forwarding and firewall rules where e.g. the set of ports must be the same. 

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Sory for digging again - I'm confused now. Insight Instant VPN Routers says:

"Full Business protection with integrated firewall

The Insight Instant VPN Router also adds a layer of protection with the inclusion of a firewall. The firewall prevents any unauthorized access to the network and will monitor the communications between the business network and the outside world according to internal rules. It will also warn of any malicious connection attempt. The Firewall rules can easily be set up in the Insight app or Cloud Portal to get you started intantly."

Ref. the malicious connection I don't say a word.

Message 4 of 7
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

You can setup port forwarding and firewall rules in the local GUI of the BR500 interface. However, Insight does not support the ability to setup the rules in Insight but be on the look out for future updates with Insight.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@MrJoshW wrote:

You can setup port forwarding and firewall rules in the local GUI of the BR500 interface.

This information is missing in the BR500 User Manual (or I was reading to fast).

@MrJoshW wrote:

However, Insight does not support the ability to setup the rules in Insight but be on the look out for future updates with Insight.

The interesting question here is if this functionality will remain accessible with the router in Insight mode. This would - for the moment - be perfectly sufficient.

This co-existence is for GC and WAC not very clear, for example do the WAC have the bridge controls accessible even if Insight mode is up.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The same feature request applies to Orbi Pro WiFi 6 systems like Orbi Pro 80, Orbi Pro 50, Orb Pro 30 Series of course, too.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements