Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 - Instant VPN Router

Alberto_G
Aspirant

BR500 - Instant VPN Router

I am the owner of a small business in Italy and its IT manager and was very excited about the Netgear BR500 and the Insight product linup. I have purchased it together with several insight access points, downloaded the app, associated all routers in the network - all NETGEAR gigabit managed routers /PoE routers.... It all worked fine until I actually needed what it promised: provide my employees secure access to office resources while working from remote.

To be frank initially (for a few days) it worked fine: I have purchased a VPN credit, created a VPN group, created MS remote desktop connection to a VM in the server and I could connect just fine... but few days later when I was about to roll out to my employees for an unknown reason the VPN connection between the BR500 and the cloud broke (according to the tests made on the insight app). I have tried to delete the group but the app stated "Remove all associated devices from the VPN group before deleting the VPN group", however when I tried to delete the br500 from the group it replied "unable to delete device from group". And that despite trying dozens of times. 

I have tried several times to reset the BR500 to factory setting pressing the reset botton, it worked as long as the router was detached from the network, however it never deleted the router from the app, and, as soon as it was connected to the internet it automatically reconnected to the cloud with the prior settings!

I have tried to reset and remove the device from the insight app, I have even tried to delete the location from the app, but it wouldn't let me do it as there were devices in the VPN group!

Logging in the BR500 gui from the local network I see no VPN group and a warning signal that there is no insight connectivity. From the Insight Instant VPN client on a PC I cannot see the VPN group even if the user was described as "active" in the insight mobile app.

I have tried to remove the app from the phone, but now I have no access even to the mobile app, with a message that "access request denied - request blocked ...." 

I have been a week trying to contact Netgear support, but without success. Once I was finally talking to the "insight expert" after passing through 2-3 persons before the phone connection misteriously dropped this happended 4 times - no call back from Netgear...

This has been extremely frustrating, as I had put a lot of trust in Netgear, invested long time in reading its manuals, the community articles etc... and - unless someone helps me come out of this desperate situation am considering binning the Netgear products and look for alternative, more reliable, networking solutions....

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Alberto_G
Aspirant

Yesterday - I have noticed the VPN light of my router on! It seems that an update on the Insight app has solved all issues. I could reset all - tested on two pc's and looks like all is working fine. Hope the connection will be up and stable... if this is due to the interest and help of one of the Netgear tech support I have tried to communicate with, thanks a lot! 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member please.

Message 2 of 4
Alberto_G
Aspirant

Yesterday - I have noticed the VPN light of my router on! It seems that an update on the Insight app has solved all issues. I could reset all - tested on two pc's and looks like all is working fine. Hope the connection will be up and stable... if this is due to the interest and help of one of the Netgear tech support I have tried to communicate with, thanks a lot! 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Hard to imagine just the App update does have changed much. Cloud access and VPN LED are mostly a hit and miss on the BR500's I have at hand here for some months. During the recent weeks, no luck to get these up here....

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements