Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR500 Support

MrSharp
Follower

BR500 Support

In November and December or 2020 I spent more than a few hours on more than a couple of days trying to get information on Netgear's Insight software and the BR200 / BR500 routers.  

I cannot describe how frustrated I became each time because NOBODY and I mean nobody could ansewr even a couple of my questions.  I would get transfered or simply diconnected after playing / Push My Button / and being kept on hold for literally thirty minitues at a time.

I finally decided that maybe if I were to purchase a device then I would get better access to the Netgear support team.  My research led me to believe that the BR500 was the upgraded NEW verision on the BR200.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/BR200-BR500-compare/td-p/1980613
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/BR500
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/netgear-br500-vpn-router

I could not figure out how to purchase a BR500 from the Netgear website so I decided to purchase it from eBay.  

Today I had a little time and decided to install my BR500 in my network and went to register the device.  I got message that the device was already registered to another user and that I should contact support.  I did that and they were able to change the device to be registered to me.

I was then politely informed that I could not get technical support for my device. WTF?

I was resistant to purchase a device in 2020 because I wanted to make sure that I could get technical support.   I was told that since eBay is not an authorized resaler I cannot PURCHASE any warranty or support.

It appears that my fear of limited or no support has been realized.

This was the reply I recieved: 

NETGEAR Support

2021-02-01 19:35:24

Dear Mr. Sharp,

This is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx of NETGEAR Customer Care Team and we would like to thank you for providing your proof of purchase. I have updated your product registration however, the document you have provided shows that your NETGEAR device was purchased from an eBay, which is not an authorized NETGEAR reseller.

Details of your product:

NETGEAR: NETGEAR Insight Instant VPN Router(BR500)
SN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Purchase date: 1/25/2021

Due to your product being purchased from an unauthorized reseller, your product is not eligible for warranty coverage, as stated in our Consumer Warranty Information:

“Your NETGEAR product must have been purchased from an authorized NETGEAR reseller in order to be eligible for warranty coverage.”

However we have self-help documents and useful product articles available on our knowledge base http://www.netgear.com/support/ that you may use as reference.

For more information on the Consumer Warranty, please click on the following link: http://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/

For more details of the Authorized Reseller information and listing, please click on the following link: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1113

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR and have a great day!

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Customer Care Advocate
NETGEAR, Inc.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: BR500 Support

Dear @MrSharp 

Welcome to the Netgear Community!

@MrSharp wrote:

In November and December or 2020 I spent more than a few hours on more than a couple of days trying to get information on Netgear's Insight software and the BR200 / BR500 routers.

Where ever you asked, ... this wasn't here in the community.

@MrSharp wrote:

I cannot describe how frustrated I became each time because NOBODY and I mean nobody could ansewr even a couple of my questions.  I would get transfered or simply diconnected after playing / Push My Button / and being kept on hold for literally thirty minitues at a time.

Still no idea where you were looking or asking for pre-sales information. Undoubted, support might not be the best place...

@MrSharp wrote:

I finally decided that maybe if I were to purchase a device then I would get better access to the Netgear support team.  My research led me to believe that the BR500 was the upgraded NEW verision on the BR200.

Not sure what research you did - the BR500 was launched in summer 2018, while the BR500 stripped from the "Instant VPN" feature as BR200 was introduced in autumn 2020.

@MrSharp wrote:

I could not figure out how to purchase a BR500 from the Netgear website so I decided to purchase it from eBay. 

Well possible they phased-out the BR500 very quickly (known shortage due to Covid sourcing issues) and introduced the BR200.

The eBay company manages the eBay website, an online auction and shopping website in which people and businesses buy and sell a wide variety of goods and services worldwide.From where ever you bought your BR500, from whatever private seller, second hand reseller, or whatever organisation you bought your BR500: Different from Amazon (which does have it's own trading and sales organisation plus offering their platform for 3rd parties). Also Netgear used the eBay platform to operate their direct sales shop before the shop was integrated on the Web site.

@MrSharp wrote:

Today I had a little time and decided to install my BR500 in my network and went to register the device.  I got message that the device was already registered to another user and that I should contact support.  I did that and they were able to change the device to be registered to me.

So it's most likely you bought a second hand unit - or the serial number was abused, eg. by trying random similar numbers than an own product under the intention to gain support access [!!!], or by error because there is no checksum or the like on the serial numbers. 

Formally, it's correct they offer the product transfer to you.

It might be hard to proof if you have got a factory new unit and your product serial number became a victim of warranty fraud, or if you have really bought a pre-used device....however the seller should have made this clear. This is a contract and a case between you and the seller on eBay. I would review by whom and how the BR500 was advertised and sold on eBay. Complain with the seller on eBay!

@MrSharp wrote:

I was then politely informed that I could not get technical support for my device. WTF?

The information should say that your device does not qualify for the free 90 days, because for Netgear it appears you are not the original buyer.

"NETGEAR provides complimentary technical support for NETGEAR products for 90 days from the original date of purchase."

Why ever, they talk of warranty only, I think they imply the free complimentary support is part of their warranty coverage. It's a little unlucky or incomplete communication in my opinion.

@MrSharp wrote:

I was resistant to purchase a device in 2020 because I wanted to make sure that I could get technical support.   I was told that since eBay is not an authorized resaler I cannot PURCHASE any warranty or support.

Hard to imagine Netgear won't offer paid support under these conditions. This is (in my reading and understanding of "not eligible for warranty coverage") not what they wrote.

So, as you are here in the community, I suggest you to open a new thread under Hardware VPN Firewalls and Business Routers or here in the NETGEAR Insight Network Management  and explain where you need assistance with your BR500 or Insight..

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements