Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Insight VPN connection to BR500 questions

Insight VPN connection to BR500 questions

I am trying to setup a Client to Gateway connection. I have the BR500 configured to use DDNS. I have setup a VPN group, sent an invitation, installed software on my computer, and connected the Insight Instant VPN. Now what. I cannot connect to the network where the router is connected using windows networking or Remote Desktop. How do I access the computers behind the router?

BR500 is not listed in your Models.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions

I just got an email asking me if I had a solution to my issue. I do but it did not come from the forum. I had already performed all of the steps required to create the tunnel before I posted my question per my original post. Not finding a solution here I contacted support and was able to get the tunnel up and running. I posted this info to this thread as well. How do I close this thread?

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Assuming computer is a Windows system - have renamed the network connection as per the fine manual p.130 ff.?

Message 2 of 17

These are OpenVPN instructions. I wasn't using OpenVPN.

Message 3 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Afraid, not aware on how to configure and/or check the Instant VPN clients on Windows or MacOS. No documentation, no downlods available - @YeZ, seriously???) 

Just for curiosity, there aren't the same TCP/IP subnets on both ends of the Instant VPN.

Message 4 of 17

No the remote pc has a 192.168.3 address and the router has a 10.0.0 address. The User Manual says this is possible with Insight. I guess I will have to contact support.

Message 5 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Agree. Can't find more than the very few vague lines above the OpenVPN info on the user manual. From what documentation you get the impression that this is workable (I agree, technically it has to work).

I'm just buffed that nothing of all that is in the official documentation or the KB.
Message 6 of 17

If we get this working I will post the how-to.

Message 7 of 17
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

"the remote pc has a 192.168.3 address and the router has a 10.0.0 address. "

With BR500 VPN client, after connecting, you should be able to access any IPs behind 10.0.0.x subnet from this remote PC 192.168.3 address. You can ping or access HTTP/HTTPS or any other network service in the 10.0.0.x subnet, if they are up running. For example, say a local PC is running 10.0.0.2 with some shared folders, you should be able to access \\10.0.0.2 from the remote PC. 

There is one thing you can't access, which is the BR500 web GUI 10.0.0.1 itself, this is due to the fact that currently the web GUI on the router itself only allows local access from the WLAN/LAN port. 

Message 8 of 17
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

@schumaku The VPN Windows/Mac client download links are included as part of the VPN remote access invitation email, so users do not need to manually go to any web site to download. We will also post them in BR500 support page. Thank you. 

Message 9 of 17
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

> I cannot connect to the network where the router is connected using windows networking or Remote Desktop. How do I access the computers behind the router?

Once VPN connection is established, you can access remote devices by their LAN IP addresses. Currently, name resolution may not work across different subnets(For example, you have a remote device in BR500 LAN with IP 192.168.1.3 named HomeNAS, you are trying to access it from hotel, you can access HomeNAS by its LAN IP 192.168.1.3. If you want to access it by name HomeNAS, please add name mapping in Windows at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file). Also you can't browser remote network using Windows or Mac OS network broswer for now. BR500 VPN client software displays all available remote subnets, also in Insight APP, user can display device map at each location, we will try to bring device map to VPN client software so that user can browse remote networks.

Message 10 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@c3po @YeZ Does the BR500 still not have an embedded DNS server for automatic registration of the local subnet based on the hostname provided by BOOTP/DHCP (e.g. by default for a .local or a custom domain), and then some ways to manage the local DNS manually (and then allow some individual management)? 

That's what I would see as real added value.

Message 11 of 17

I tried my connection again this morning and it did not work. The connection to the router using the Insight app worked but I could go no farther. I did not try to ping at that point. What I had tried was to open an Explorer window and tried browsing to the ip address of a pc behind the router but it would not connect. I also tried Remote Desktop again and I got the Windows you can't connect message. I had received an email from support and per their suggestion I tried chat again and after uploading the screen shots that were requested one of the first questions was can you ping. I had not tried and said so (that made me feel stupid). I pinged the router and the pc behind the router. Then I tried a net view and the rest all just worked. I remember something from one of the first VPNs I setup and there was the issue of keeping the connection alive for the next day and a suggestion was made to use ping to wake up the connection. I do not know why it wouldn't work and I don't know why it started, it just did.

Message 12 of 17

By the way to be able to use Insight for the VPN connection instead of OpenVPN you need the pro/premium version of Insight.

Message 13 of 17
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Hi CBS, Would you please let me know the Cloud/VPN LED status? In normal case, Blue cloud LED and green VPN LED should staty on.

Below are steps to set up Insight VPN:

1. Assign BR500 to a location, currently we only support one BR500 per location. Do so for all your BR500.

2.  Create a VPN group.

3. Add one or more BR500 to the VPN group. Currently, VPN group can have 1, 2 or 3 BR500, all other numbers are not supported. All BR500 in the group is fully meshed, meaning their LAN can access each other.

4. Invite VPN users to join the group, they will receive emails to acknowledge joining the group, along with VPN client program download links. Admin can invite 10 clients per BR500 to join the group, for example, if the group has 3 BR500, then admin can invite up to 30 clients to join the group.

5. VPN user lanuch client software, login using NETGEAR SSO account, user will then be presented all groups available to them and select which one to join. Once VPN connecteion is established, the client will be able to access all BR500 subnets which is also listed in VPN client software.

Message 14 of 17

My VPN is up and running.
Message 15 of 17

I just got an email asking me if I had a solution to my issue. I do but it did not come from the forum. I had already performed all of the steps required to create the tunnel before I posted my question per my original post. Not finding a solution here I contacted support and was able to get the tunnel up and running. I posted this info to this thread as well. How do I close this thread?

Message 16 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@CBS-jbcbussoft wrote:

Not finding a solution here I contacted support and was able to get the tunnel up and running. I posted this info to this thread as well. 

Mark the post with the in formation provided by support accordingly.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements