Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My discoveries with the Cloud

Theolodian
Tutor

My discoveries with the Cloud

Here are some of the things that I have discovered while setting up Insight switches/cloud. Some of this has been infuriating so hopefully it helps others.

It talks to the cloud even if the blue LED is not on - including downloading new settings. So you can keep trying different manual IP settings, it says they will update when it next talks to the cloud, which happens even with the blue LED off - if it is just say a DNS issue and not something more serious. I have not tried this from new yet, only while moving from a test network to a live network.

If that doesn`t work then just power cycle the switch and it will reset to DHCP. Then it will download the manual IP settings from the cloud and try again. Unfortunately it is tricky to update the manual settings in the app if the switch isn`t talking - it just shows the default DHCP settings. You have to catch it at the right time.

This is also why you have to delete the device from your cloud account to be able to reset it with a paperclip. It talks to the cloud and sees that it is `claimed` so won`t set up as new. Good for security I guess but I suppose if you want to stop someone using a stolen one you have to keep paying for a device credit forever.

I had to reset the switches to factory defaults several times because I kept getting red interfaces, was tripping STP. Wireshark says no L2 or L3 loops so still working on that one, solution for now was to untag all VLANs from the L3 into the Insight switches and STP was happy.

If you have a premium account and then cancel it you only get the subscription webpage, but it doesn`t tell you why you can`t get the other pages.

Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, that's right, connecting (talk) to Cloud is the pre-condition to fetch the configuration, so please alwasy keep up if you have only last one uplink port, and stay untagged in management VLAN (default VLAN1)

Message 2 of 3
Theolodian
Tutor

Yeah this whole untagged VLAN1 makes things a lot more complicated. My PCs are not on VLAN1 so for the PCs and the switches to have access to the web, then all of the routing/access between VLANs has to be sorted out. At the moment my Insight switches and the PC's on them are on VLAN1, which then all gets untagged on the uplink and tagged to the main VLAN by the L3 to access the core, and then from there untagged per usual to access the web. Not a long term solution, but it's the only way to get started with Insight switches on a live network.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements