Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New to WAX610

dchbbc
Apprentice

New to WAX610

Hi

I might be doing this all wrong but.....

I have ATT GigaPower at home. They just installed a new tri-band router. That's how I was getting my wi-fi. It's still not the best at the far end of the house so I bought a WAX610. I installed it today and it works fine so far.

My question is, I left the wi-fi on the ATT router turned on. I set up the WAX610 with the same network name and password. I want to be able to go from one end of the house to the other without changing networks. My thought was that the ATT wi-fi would give be bars at one end of the house and the WAX610 at the other since neither seemed to give be enough bars from end to end on their own. The house is 2000 sq ft ranch style, not open concept, so walls.

Is there an issue with leaving both wi-fi turned on? So far it seems to be working ok without causing problems

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: New to WAX610

With the ATT router supposedly supporting 802.11k/802.11v, and if moving a wireless client from one end to the other end and back does not lead to what is named a "sticky client" - this would mean when you walk away from the ATT (resp. the WAX610) and see the bars going down massively, and you reaching the WAX610 (resp. the ATT in the other direction of movement) you would have a poor connectivity and just one or two bars on the display - your installation would be perfectly fine. This means your wireless client will switch (roam) within a few seconds (typically about one) from one to the other device.

What isn't possible is the seamless roaming per 802.11r allowing the client to change the wireless base station within some 0.1 seconds.

Message 2 of 3
dchbbc
Apprentice

Re: New to WAX610

@schumaku 

Thanks.

Maybe you can help with this issue. This might be an ATT issue, I don't know, but they claim there is nothing wrong with their equipment or my service so I grasping here.....

The gateway/router they set up is a BGW320, as I said, tri-band, their newest. I thought my set up was working fine but I started having the same issue that I did when I had my OrbiRBR420 and 3 satellites set up. My wifi drops over and over for no reason I can see. It "seems" more like when we are on our iPads but we use those the most so it's hard to say. It will show full bars of wi-fi but pages won't open. I've tried all of the "tricks", resetting network, reboots, clearing data, you name it. This happens anywhere in the house but even right next to any of the equipment. Apple says it isn't them and to check with ATT or Netgear. ATT says it's not them to check with Apple. Someone has changed something because I've had iPads since they came out and never had this problem until about a week ago. I turned off Auto Connect so I could see if things are staying on the network and the iPads and my 2 PC's both lost connection overnight. When the iPad lost connection I tried the PC to see if it would hook up and it didn't so it's not just one appliance.

Since my Orbi system was doing it too, it seems like there is some conflict with the ATT stuff and hooking any type of extender or mesh system. This was happening with my older gateway/router too that's why I had ATT install a new one, because I thought it was them. I don't know much on the IT end so I'm limited what I can do on my own. I don't know if there are some settings on the ATT that I need to change or the Netgear stuff or a combo. I've seen things about static ip addresses and to bridge the gateway. The ATT doesn't have "bridge" that I can find but they have "cascade router settings" which I thought sounded the same but I don't know what that does or how to do it. I see some addresses have ip Allocation on and some off. I didn't know if that was an issue.

I guess because all of this started recently it seems to me it has to be ATT or Apple. With my Netgear Orbi it was working fine and then boom. It's getting maddening because I've been "wasting" days on this and I am so sick of the family coming to me and saying they lost the wifi. My only response last night was "start your own company and you can fix it then". Not helpful, but I'm at my wits end.

Any ideas? I said let's dump text and use carrier pigeons but that didn't go over.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements