Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline networking

mujeeb123
Aspirant

Powerline networking

HI,

I want to open new office soon and requesting for suggention  on powerline ethernet adapter to use.I dont want run CAT6 cable all over office & dont want to use wifi solution.Total office desk will be around 140-170.

Please give me your suggestion to use power line networking with 170 computers.I have file server & active directory .....

Online its showing only for home network.But I want to use same technology for office network.

Please let me know the pros and cons.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No way.

Performance will be down to zero. Powerline is a shared media technology so the network "backbone" capacity would be limited to what a "simple" powerline network would allow.

Consider small WiFi cells with low power configs, this does require some cabling anyway, similar for infrastructure like printers. 

Already for average file server usage, there is no way around cabling.

Message 2 of 4
mujeeb123
Aspirant

HI, Thanks For the reply. as per below link its saying one power line adapter can handle 64 nodes. So I have 150 staff & I will arrange 3 power line adapter ( 64 *3 =192 nodes). Will all 192 nodes communicate with my server ??? You mean to say my backbone will be power line adapter not switch ..Is it right ?? Than main intention to build this power line networking only flexibility .I dont want any Wifi solution due to some internal issue. Please advice for 150 system can I build power line networking ?? Is there any offices using this power line ?
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@mujeeb123 wrote:
as per below link its saying one power line adapter can handle 64 nodes. 

Can't see any link. When we talk of the HomePlug AV2 compliant Netgear PLP2000 there are two Gigabit Ethrnet ports and one powerline interface connecting to the shared power cables infrastructure.

Older HomePlug standards allowed a theoretical max number of 16 "nodes" - what translates to the number of HPAV adapters - on one power loop. HPAV2 has a theoretical maximum of 64 "nodes" so this is the number of powerline adapters which can be used. Theese up to 64 powerlie adapters talk to each other over the AC cabling. 

And this AC power cabling is one shared media, just like a network cable, like a single gigabit connection, but much worse - especially in the scale (of power installation, cables, extensions, ...).  

@mujeeb123 wrote:
So I have 150 staff & I will arrange 3 power line adapter ( 64 *3 =192 nodes). Will all 192 nodes communicate with my server ??? 

Now you buy three of these adapters for a few hunderd Dollars and expect what exactly? You will get three powerline adapters with one or two GbE ports (what does not say that the system is able to handle that throughput). I'm a litttle bit curious on how you intend to connect 150 workstations, some servers, printers, ... and still you said no word on how the Active Directory and the file server is attached and what performance you expect...

@mujeeb123 wrote:
You mean to say my backbone will be power line adapter not switch ..Is it right ??

Again, it's shared media with limited physical capacity. Yes, in the early 1980ties we installed 10 Mb Ethernet - thick yellow cable with some 10BASE5 AUI to connect a micro system host, some IBM mainframe terminal gateways, some terminal servers for serial terminals, and some 3270 terminal servers. This worked with ease for some hundred users. With the upcoming PCs, Thin Wire Ethernet 10BASE2, we had to segment the networks much more with the coming up file servers from DEC and Novell. However, these times are gone - today we need much higher bandwidth to each workstation, and much more to and between the servers, and probably even much more to storage.

@mujeeb123 wrote:
I dont want any Wifi solution due to some internal issue. 

Well, you want flexibility and tell us what you don't want - but not what you expect, what performance any of these 150+ workplaces must have, how much throughput (exclusive and then all together) you have to provide. During day work time, evening IT time (pathes, updates, maintenance, ...), and during the night (backup).

@mujeeb123 wrote:
Please advice for 150 system can I build power line networking ?? 

Blunt theory, you might be able to connect 64 nodes (Powerline adapters, not just three!) with two GbE ports and wire up 128 systems. Good luck. As the manager, I would already fire you for this idea.

@mujeeb123 wrote:
Is there any offices using this power line ?

Very unlikely, certainly not on this scale.

You can use it in your home to bring some or distribute some basic wireless to more rooms, attach a STB (media player, game device) or a TV.

For your scale, there is no other way but to install at least CAT6A, better CAT7 cables - and most likely also fiber to bind the network switches together (10 GbE at least), and then the file server and storage which will be something in the 40/56 Gb or even the coming-up 100G/400G class. No way with a free beer - ahem three consumer powerline adapters.

Dear @mujeeb123, with all due respect in a public community: Have you ever designed and built a network? 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements