Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to ping FQDN across VPN on BR500. IP works though.

Glassweaver
Tutor

Unable to ping FQDN across VPN on BR500. IP works though.

Hello everyone, 

I am new to Netgears insight products but have to say that so far it's pretty simple. Maybe too simple, though. 

The VPN works great as long as I try to access resoruces by IP - not so much if by domain name. 

I was hoping there would be a way to set DNS to be my domain controller so that I could fully enjoy things like mapped network drives (the entire reason why my users even need a VPN...)

Alas, I can find no such feature. I would assume that tunneling all the traffic across the VPN would accomplish this as well, and while not desierable due to bandwidth contraints, this would be an acceptable tradeoff if that is an option, and would make this work. Bonus points if people could be split into different groups for tunnel all or split tunnel VPN configs. 

I know how to do this with OpenVPN and Cisco ASAs, but can't seem to figure it out on the BR500 device. 

What am I missing? If this can not be done on the BR500s, is there a different product in the Netgear ecosystem I sould be looking at? The last thing I want to do is map shares by IP like it's 1998 again.

Thank you, 

-Alex (Glassweaver)

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 4
Glassweaver
Tutor

Re: Unable to ping FQDN across VPN on BR500. IP works though.

Figured I'd bump this. I just realized that the BR500 is actually useless in scale without being able to tunnel all or use FQDNs. 

I mean, if I have 50 people working from home, some are going to have 192.168 networks...some are going to have 10.0 networks....can't really do much without being able to encapsulate all traffic or ping fqdns. Surely this is a feature that I'm just not seeing? 

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

It's indeed not there. Challenged @YeZ (Netgear SBU) few weeks ago on this definitively required and very basic feature. Can't wait to test, or in case it's required, to talk again what we are all seeking for here.

Message 3 of 4
Glassweaver
Tutor

Thank you for that information. Kind of shocking they would market a product for businesses that can't really meet any real business needs, but I guess that's why nobody from Netgear wanted to touch this post. Smiley LOL

Guess I have to stick with Fortinet for now. I mean, it's not like any business in their right mind would pay me to deploy something that's going to be flat out incompatible with the last 20 years of basic networking standards....not sure what netgear was thinking putting this to market already? Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements