Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WAC505/510 Wi-Fi Bridge implemented - Is Standalone only way to configure (not Insight)?

TE1
Tutor
Tutor

WAC505/510 Wi-Fi Bridge implemented - Is Standalone only way to configure (not Insight)?

Getting a network cable to a WAC505 was going to be very difficult, so used WAC505 User manual section "Set up a WiFi Bridge Between Access Points" to configure a WAC510 as a base station and the WAC505 as a repeater. In the Insight portal, had to change from Insight managed to Local to see the settings to get this done. Now in Insight, see "Standalone mode" in Status for both WAC510 and WAC505.

1) Does anyone know if NETGEAR is planning to allow configuration of bridge mode using Insight (rather than standalone)?

2) If I ever want to go back to Insight managed for WAC505 and WAC510, don't see a way to change from Local to Insight managed. Is reset to factory the only way to go back to Insight managed?

Thanks.

Model: Insight Premium
Message 1 of 14
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WAC505/510 Wi-Fi Bridge implemented - Is Standalone only way to configure (not Insight)?

Thank you for the feedback, We will look at offering bridge/uplink from AP via radios.

If there are issues with running wires to set up AP, one option is to use Insight and OrbiPro.

If it basic (upto 3 SSID)  wireless deploymemts, Total mesh or dedicated 4x4 wireless backhaul  OrbiPro maybe one way to go.

It really depends on what is deployment needs. for example,  OrbiPro will not support VLANs.

WAC505/WAC510 provides lot more advanced features and can be deployed in large numbers to cover larger office spaces.

Message 2 of 14
TE1
Tutor
Tutor

I want to make sure I understand your answer.

1) If WAC505/510 Wi-Fi Bridge is used, we can now only use Standalone mode, not Insight-managed. But, NETGEAR might add capability to configure Wi-Fi Bridge using Insight at some point. Is that right?

2) Is a factory reset the only way to go back to Insight-managed from Standalone mode on WAC505 and WAC510?

Thanks, again.

Model: Insight Premium
Message 3 of 14
TE1
Tutor
Tutor

Does anyone have an answer for my 2 follow-up questions on 5/17/2018? Thanks.

Message 4 of 14
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

In WAC505 you can change the Management mode from standalone to 'Netgear Insight App' managed mode from the Management mode tab. Please check the attached screen. If WAC510 is in AP mode, then also you can do this.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 5 of 14
TE1
Tutor
Tutor

Raghu,

Thanks for the reply. When I was in Insight Managed mode on the WAC505 and WAC510, a Wireless Bridge setup page indicated Wireless Bridge can only be set in Local mode, not Insight Managed mode. So now, both the WAC505 and WAC510 connected via a Wireless Bridge are in Local mode.

My question for Netgear -  Is there any plan to change Insight Managed mode to be able to administer a Wireless Bridge? Now, the only option I have is to administer the WAC505 and WAC510 locally (firmware updates, etc.). Thanks.

Message 6 of 14
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hope your query is addressed. If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future! Thanks, Raghu
Message 7 of 14
TE1
Tutor
Tutor

I'm still looking for an answer. To setup the WAC510 to WAC505 Wireless Bridge, it was required that Insight Managed be changed to Local (Stand Alone) mode. Is Netgear planning to allow Wireless Bridge be administered by Insight in the furture? It seems now if I change from Local mode back to Insight Managed mode, the Wireless Bridge will no longer be active. Am I correct or am I wrong in this assumption? Thanks, again.

Message 8 of 14
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Your assumptions are correct. Thanks, Raghu
Message 9 of 14
TE1
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you know if Netgear is planning to enhance Insight Managed mode to allow admin of WAC505/510 connected with a Wireless Bridge? That would make updating firmware, etc. easier than having to connect to each one locally. Thanks. 

Message 10 of 14
SanthoP
NETGEAR Employee

Hi, Thanks for your feedback. We will provide you an update about your requirement to support WDS from IM app side after discussing with Netgear team for a solution.

Message 11 of 14
TE1
Tutor
Tutor

Last reply was in May 2018. Connecting a WAC505 and WAC510 with a wireless bridge required them to be put into Standalone mode rather than Insight mode. So, cannot access them using the Insight app. Has there been any progress on getting WAC505/WAC510 connected with a wireless bridge accessible in Insight mode? Thanks.

Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

As for now a cloud assisted discovery based on the serial number is the only way to add a new device I can't see on how an WAC should be added to Insight. This process would require an enhancement if not a design change. 

Amazing when one does consider that the Insight switches are allowed to keep some of the existing configuration (areas not touched by Insight) while the same should not be possible for WAC in a WiFi bridge. 

But then, the effective business case might not have a lot of relevance.

@skazi or @MrJoshW please. 

Message 13 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Digging a little bit (but no resources to establish a WiFi bridge) ... on a WAC managed by Insight [while established with a local LAN connection], the WAC does not prohibit the creation of a WiFi bridge:

WAC510 Wireless Bridge - Local while Insight Managed.PNG

Has @RaghuHR some information to add here? I'm really buffed Netgear does go silent...

There might be some drawbacks - for example the Insight RRM might or might not work, as the channel must be fixed for a WiFi Bridge.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements