Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAX625 set as TRUNK disconnects from insight - DHCP works

Xander-plunge
Aspirant

WAX625 set as TRUNK disconnects from insight - DHCP works

strange issue with 4x WAX625 using insight. New to insight products.

So the current set up is a Netgear BR500 router with port one and two configured with the default management VLAN,  VLAN 10 and 20 what is a DHCP pool set up. 

Port 1 and 2 are marked as trunk. 2- not in USE

Port 1 is going into the 48 port Netgear GS752TPP switch and the uplink port is marked as trunk. Which is port 2.

On the GS752TPP, Port 2 dose have VLAN1, 10, 20.

From there, I have several other ports designated to the default VLAN 1, and VLAN 10 and 20.

When a device is plugged into any of those ports. They get the appropriate IP address. Whether that’s the default VLAN 1, or VLAN 10 or 20. That is working.

However, I have one of the ports tagged as VLAN 20 and set as trunk. None of the Wi-Fi access points will show up as connected. 

However, once configured on VLAN1 or if I set port 28 as ACCESS versus Trunk. The WAP shows up in insight grabbing an IP on VLAN 20. Shows connected. But, as you know, ACCESS wont give assign IP's to devices. So I move it back to TURNK on VLAN 20, The wireless access point broadcast and I’m able to get an IP address that matches the VLAN. 

But it shows disconnected on the Insight portal.
WAP's were set as Static and DHCP, both work.

One clue, every time I set the port as TRUNK, the PVID on that port is set to VLAN1, not 20. If I change it, it dose not change. It only updates if I have the Port set as ACCESS and I am able to set the PVID to 20.
The VLAN ID still shows VLAN 20 whether the port is set to TRUNK or ACCESS.
Hoping you can help solve this frustrating issue

Many thanks! -Alexander
Message 1 of 3
Xander-plunge
Aspirant

Re: WAX625 set as TRUNK disconnects from insight - DHCP works

Insight_Cloud_Portal-8.pngInsight_Cloud_Portal-7.pngInsight_Cloud_Portal-6.pngInsight_Cloud_Portal-5.pngInsight_Cloud_Portal-4.pngInsight_Cloud_Portal-3.pngInsight_Cloud_Portal-2.pngInsight_Cloud_Portal.pngHi, thank you for the in-depth reply. Very helpful. I combed through every setting there is, could not find anything. I took screen shots of everything I could think of.

There are no spaces in any of the ID's or Names across all devices. Every thing pulls the ID and Name perfectly from the insight config. Last night, I plugged in 3 more WAX625's and the same thing. They self configured, firmware updated on ACCESS with VLAN 20 on the the ports that are tagged / Set as VLAN 20, and connected. Changing the port to TRUNK, they disconnect. 

Attached photos: 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX625 set as TRUNK disconnects from insight - DHCP works

it's rather easy to misconfigure a preciously working environment. If misconfiguring the access points to use tagged frames for management, the APs won't be able to reach the Internet and can no longer reach the Insight cloud. Watch your steps....

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements