Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Block new devices from connecting to Orbi (Not working)

Andyt650
Tutor

How to Block new devices from connecting to Orbi (Not working)

I want to use access control to block any new devices from connecting to my Orbi Router. This was done successfully in the past via access controls so that I can block devices that changed MAC addresses that tried to  circumvent time access restrictions. This used to be in the Orbi web interface in  Advanced Tab, Security Menu, Access Control with option to "Block all new devices from connecting." This has now been removed from the Orbi web interface with  the message that I need to use the Orbi App instead. When I use the Orbi App there is no such feature anywhere to be found. This feature was very helpful in restricting access to devices that changed their MAC address.  

I did try the Armor section in the Orbi app which allows restricted access to a device, but I am not sure if this could be circumvented by changing the MAC address of that device.

Please help.

Andy

Orbi AX4200 WiFi 6 High-Performance Router (RBR750)

Latest Firmware as of 11/7/2022

Message 1 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Andyt650,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

You are receiving that message because SMART Parental Controls is activated on your device.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 9
Andyt650
Tutor

Hi Kevin, 

I've disabled SMART parental controls (toggle switch) from the Orbi app and I still get the same problem on the router where "Block all new devices from connecting"  is not available. See attached image. Thanks.

Andy

Message 3 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Andyt650, 

Thank you for this information!

Please factory reset your Orbi router after you toggle off SPC.

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 4 of 9
Andyt650
Tutor

Kevin,

You have asked me to reset my Oribi to factory settings. Are you basing this suggestion on your personal observation of your own Orbi router that the feature "Block new devices from connecting" is  still present and available from the web interface, or is this a suggestion that this should work? There are Netgear support circles are indicating that this feature will be available only  from the Orbi app (IOS/Android) and no longer from the web and this is a work in progress. I have a great deal of customization with lots of hosts connected to my Orbi matrix and resetting to factory settings is something that I do not take lightly without some indication that this may fix the problem. Your thoughts are appreciated on the factory reset. What about downgrading the firmware version?

Andy

Message 5 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Andyt650 ,

Thank you for your response!

The photo you provided indicates that SMART Parental Controls is active on your router. In order to remove the SMART Parental Controls you will need to first disable it in the Orbi app by doing the following;

HAMBURGER MENU > SETTINGS >  PARENTAL CONTROLS > toggle ENABLE SMART PARENTAL CONTROLS.

After the system needs to be factory reset for this change to take effect. Once the change has taken effect you will be able to access Access Controls to block new devices from connecting to your network via MAC address. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 9
Andyt650
Tutor

Hello Kevin,

For my understanding, why does resetting my router to factory settings after I toggle off Parental Smart Controls from the Orbi app work? If I toggle it off from the Orbi app, that should do it likewise from the router as well (which it isn't). I don't understand how enabling a feature on the app itself cannot be undone on the router unless it is factory reset. It seems this is a bug perhaps and not by design?

andy

Message 7 of 9
Andyt650
Tutor

kevin,

I have decided to give your suggestion a try by disabling Parental Control from the Orbi app and then resetting the router to Factory Settings. If I have a backup of the current configuration, can I restore the configuration using this file once I have completed the two steps you suggested? I have a lot of custom configurations and would like to have them back once I've performed the two steps without having to recreate them manually if possible. Thanks.

-Andy

Message 8 of 9
wanganuiog
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat. This is why I'll never buy Netgear products again.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7