Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Impossible to use premium features: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation ("SPC-A

nickd3ps
Tutor

Impossible to use premium features: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation ("SPC-ACT-FAIL")

I just purchased the premium plan for the "Smart Parental Control" app. I’m trying to use this on a newish iPhone and when I go to "Unlock Premium" I am taken to a SPC Activation screen to set up. The app goes through about 60 seconds of "setting up..." until I get a fatal error. The message says "Smart Parental Control activation is failed.Please try it again, or dismiss this message and try it later (code: SPC-ACT-FAIL)." 

I have attempted over the course of several days to set this up with the same error. I have rebooted my router and modem several times. I also downgraded to the previous firmware version as suggested by someone on chat support. Nothing is working.

IMG_3227.PNG

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 89

Accepted Solutions
ChristineT
Admin

Re: Impossible to use premium features: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation ("SPC-A

Hello NETGEAR Community! 

We just released a patch this morning that should resolve this issue. I was also impacted by this error and can confirm, once I attempted to enable Smart Parental Controls (SPC) again and followed the pompts it worked as expected. 

If you haven't done so already, please log into your Orbi app and tap the Smart Parental Controls tile to enable this feature.

If anyone is still having an issue with activation please let me know and we can continue to debug this issue further.

I appreciate everyone for your effort and patience in getting this issue resolved.

Best Regards,

Christine T.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 89

All Replies
nickd3ps
Tutor

Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation "SPC-ACT-FAIL"

I just purchased the premium plan for the "Smart Parental Control" app. When I go to "Unlock Premium" I am taken to a SPC Activation screen to set up. The app goes through about 60 seconds of "setting up..." until I get a fatal error. The message says "Smart Parental Control activation is failed.Please try it again, or dismiss this message and try it later (code: SPC-ACT-FAIL)." I have attempted over the course of several days to set this up with the same error. I have rebooted my router and modem several times. 

I tried calling customer support and have been swapped amongst three technicians and put on hold for 40 minutes. I don't even know how to cancel billing for the yearly subscription if this cannot get fixed. 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 89

Re: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation "SPC-ACT-FAIL"

You might get more help here:

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

I doubt if there are many subscribers to that service who hang out in this section.

Message 2 of 89
jhermsmeyer
Guide

i have the same problem. the support link doesn't work. my trial period clock is running and i cant use the feature…
Message 4 of 89
ktreyn
Initiate

I have the same issue but with the trial of parental controls.. RBR750. Gives the same two screens you mentioned. Images attached. Support said to do a factory reset which I did. This did not fix the problem. They need to fix in their system and give us a free year for the hassle this has been. If it’s not resolved by the end of the weekend, I’ll return the system and go back to Roqos.
Message 5 of 89
jhermsmeyer
Guide

as info, shortly after posting this, i was able to activate SPC. i didn't do anything different, it just worked eventually…

as info, i like the interface and functionality so far. i haven't tested it fully yet, but on the surface, these are the exact features i have been looking for…
Message 6 of 89
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @nickd3ps and @jhermsmeyer

I am sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with activating the Smart Parental Controls feature. Thank you for reporting this! Please private message me with the serial number of your NETGEAR Product along with the registered email and I'll escalate this issue to our internal team to investigate this further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your patience!

ChristineT

Message 7 of 89
Tenydom
Initiate

Have the same issue… tried factory reset… did not help… spent an hour on phone with support… they were nice but did not have the error code in their knowledge base… strange that they released a product and do not know the error codes… hope they give everyone a two month free trial…
Message 8 of 89
DrRJ
Tutor

I am having the same issues. Anyone figure out a fix?
Message 9 of 89
FlyingDoc
Star

Same issue.  "SPC-ACT-FAIL". 

Also no pricing info when I activated or a method of cancelation.  But first thing is first.  THE ACTIVATION IS NOT WORKING!!!!   Waited a year + for this product.  Comeon Netgear get it together.

Message 10 of 89

Same issue. What’s the story?
Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 11 of 89
FlyingDoc
Star

What is really strange is that last years "Best Review" RBR850 Mesh Router is not even listed on this Model Number list here.  Has it been deleted from memory at Netgear/Orbi?   That is the one I have.  Perhaps that is why the parental control does not work...if even Netgear acts like it does not exist?

Message 12 of 89
Srg76
Initiate

Having the exact same issue. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 13 of 89
CrimpOn
Guru

@FlyingDoc wrote:

What is really strange is that last years "Best Review" RBR850 Mesh Router is not even listed on this Model Number list here.  Has it been deleted from memory at Netgear/Orbi?   That is the one I have.  Perhaps that is why the parental control does not work...if even Netgear acts like it does not exist?

One of the frustrating aspects of the community forum is that the product list is not kept up to date.  Perhaps with the pandemic causing so much disruption, there is no one currently assigned to this task? Yes, the RBR850 is a current product.

That said, there certainly appear to be issues with the Smart Parental Controls, as evidenced by the growing number of posts in the forum.

Message 14 of 89
nickd3ps
Tutor

OP here. 

An update. I have finally given up on trying to get any resolution on activating this app. I was really looking forward to using it. But customer service promised to call back, which they have not. I was also told this issue would be prioritized for resolution. It has not.  

I've been paying for this app since September 11th but just now cancelled and got a refund. If others want to do the same, the number is 866-202-8242. 

Also, as an aside, Amazon allows you to trade-in your Netgear router for a discount on one of their eero mesh systems. Because the parental smart app is unuseable on Netgear, I did just that.    

Message 15 of 89
FlyingDoc
Star

Thanks for sharing.  I will be swapping mine out as well.  I messaged and called Netgear.  No help, no callbacks, no email response.  So frustrating.  I have waited for PC, tried and given them every opportunity.  One would think they want to make money and sell usefull products that work.  I for one have lost confidence and if I can avoid it will not be buying their products again.  😞

Message 16 of 89

Actually engaged someone in support and they advised me to factory reset and reinstall the firmware. And of course it still doesn't work. I suspect this is vaporware. Even better, they closed my ticket immediately after telling me I needed to update it. Netgear is completely down the tubes at this point. BBB complaint is next.

Message 17 of 89
FlyingDoc
Star

Update:   I emailed my model number/serial number, as requested by moderator, a week ago.  No response, no soultion, nada!  They did manage to charge me the annual fee despite the fact that the "Vaporware" is still not working.  

Message 18 of 89

I love how when you search "SPC-ACT-FAIL" on google, this is the first thread that comes up but it shows as "Solved: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation "S..."

Sure, solved... 

Message 19 of 89
Aintanant
Guide

Wrong!  I need that and I am getting that error as well.  Nothing is working.  Complete reinstall and reboot included.

Message 20 of 89
FlyingDoc
Star

I just spoke to Netgear Tech support. 

I had already made sure my router/satelites were on the latest Firmware and my phone app. was uninstalled and reinstalled new(the first 2 things they asked). After 20 minutes of sending them pictures of my phone and hardware..they said its a known issue and they are working on it.  I was told they will get back to me within 24-48 hours.  He said that he had to escalate to his superiors.  So no news for now. I would encourage those with problems to call Netgear and open a ticket (first online then call).  But do the 2 steps I mentioned above first.  To update firmware in ORBI: go to the orbi router IP using a desktop.  ADVANCED --> ADMINISTRATION --> FIRMWARE

I have ORBI RBR850 MESH with 3 Satelites.  Xfinity Modem(router turned off).

Message 21 of 89
Aintanant
Guide

I am 3.5 hours into tech support on this.  I can not grasp the concept that in this day Parental Controls are optional.  I just cannot believe how horrible the customer service is.  They are clueless.  My CSR did not even know details like where to go to do the things like check on firmware updates etc.  Ehich I already did, on PC and in app.  many reboots, uninstall and reinstalls... I am truly starting to hate netgear.

Message 22 of 89
DJJW
Guide

I too have the same problem, I select parental controls and it says my activation has started but then I get Activiation has failed...

Message 23 of 89
FlyingDoc
Star

Final solution to the problem:  By NETGEAR!!!  After trying to do nothing to help:

Thank you for trying NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls, we are sad to see you go!

This is a courtesy notice to let you know that your Smart Parental Controls account will be deactivated on 9/29/2022. After 9/29/2022, although your Premium subscription will have ended, you will still have access to your Profiles.

For any questions, please contact NETGEAR support at:
Phone Number 1-888-NETGEAR

Message 24 of 89
GMFMarin
Aspirant

Incredibly disappointing response from Orbi/Netgear, but I guess none of us are surprised given how long this problem has lasted.

Orbi/Netgear’s response is all I need to know about how much I should continue to rely upon and invest in my Orbi system. So, regrettably, time to investigate that Amazon trade in deal for the eero!
Message 25 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7