Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Impossible to use premium features: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation ("SPC-A

dtay
Luminary

Re: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation "SPC-ACT-FAIL"

I really wanted to like and use SPC on my RBS850 (and this coming from a long time Circle/Circle Plus customer) but sadly, this product isn't read for prime time. Every evidence that I've seen shows SPC is nothing more than just a dumbed down version of Circle Plus but with tighter integration than trying to get Circle Plus working on the RBS850, but it doesn't work and is lacking in several basic features mainly BLOCKING certain apps/sites.

1. It doesn't even list the apps or allow me to specify an app - e.g. Discord, for example - that I want to block. Sure, I can specify www.discord.com but that doesn't work

2. It shows that my kid hasn't been online for all day yet he has been for hours - and yes, his devices have been assigned to his profile.

I have turned off SPC but it's still showing being activated.  How do I deactivate it for good? Looks like I am forced to try to get Circle Plus working again.

Message 26 of 89
ChristineT
Admin

Re: Impossible to use premium features: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation ("SPC-A

Hello NETGEAR Community! 

We just released a patch this morning that should resolve this issue. I was also impacted by this error and can confirm, once I attempted to enable Smart Parental Controls (SPC) again and followed the pompts it worked as expected. 

If you haven't done so already, please log into your Orbi app and tap the Smart Parental Controls tile to enable this feature.

If anyone is still having an issue with activation please let me know and we can continue to debug this issue further.

I appreciate everyone for your effort and patience in getting this issue resolved.

Best Regards,

Christine T.

Message 27 of 89
tp28173
Initiate

Hi there - still can't use the SPC and I've paid for premium.  It's seeing all of my devices but it is not blocking, tracking or pausing anything.  Basically it's not doing anything.  What can be done to get this to work or refunded?

Message 28 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to NG support:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@Blanca_O @ChristineT 

@tp28173 wrote:

Hi there - still can't use the SPC and I've paid for premium.  It's seeing all of my devices but it is not blocking, tracking or pausing anything.  Basically it's not doing anything.  What can be done to get this to work or refunded?

Message 29 of 89
Fixmyorbi
Initiate

I am still having this problem. Incredibly frustrating being sold a bill of goods
Message 30 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to NG support:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@Blanca_O @ChristineT 

@Fixmyorbi wrote:
I am still having this problem. Incredibly frustrating being sold a bill of goods

Message 31 of 89
drmcconkie
Initiate

I recently subscribed for the parental controls but it has the same error activating that was previously described.  I understand that there is a patch but don't know if that updates automatically?  I've tried multiple times over the last couple of days and it is telling me that there is an error.

thoughts?

Message 32 of 89
James415
Initiate

I also have the same problem. No way to get support because my router is over 1 year old and support is not available. IMO, netgar need to have another support for this products instead of hardware support. By the way, how do I cancel and get a refund.
Message 33 of 89
ryanmw12
Initiate

Been trying to get the parental control to activate and get the error spc-act-fail... The firmware is v1.0.4.100 and says no updates when running the check. I am using the App on my android. The router is the Nighthawk ACX4200 RAX42

Message 34 of 89
FlyingDoc
Star

I called them to cancel.  Do not let them give you more lip service on how they are working on a patch and blagh blagh.... Tell them you want to cancel the software.  You can allways try again later.    Personally I have been dealing with Netgear since last year when they put out my Orbi.  Since last year they have been making promises they are not keeping about this software.  Their customer service people are nice and will get you cancelled.  Its their software that is terrible and their managment and corporate do not seem to be able to get a grasp on how bad they are failing at supporting their products.  I spent $1000 on my Orbi stuff last year and I just threw it all in the trash.  Much much much happier with another company's product and kids protective software.  Not going back to netgear anytime soon.

Message 35 of 89
Amh1994
Initiate

I have a tax 50 and am having the same issue
Message 36 of 89
Canyouseeme007
Initiate

The trial period was great. As soon as I purchased the product, all I get is errors.
Message 37 of 89
SumSingh1
Initiate

Still having this issue.
Message 38 of 89
Canyouseeme007
Initiate

I finally gave up on the software. The support is horrible and they make cancelling the product very difficult.
Message 39 of 89
ChristineT
Admin

Hello NETGEAR community members,

I have alerted our internal teams that this issue appears to still be impacting some of our customers. I can help to ensure your issue get resolved as quickly as possible. Please send me a private message with the serial number of your NETGEAR router along with the best day/time and method (email or phone) to contact you and we'll reach out to you promptly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Christine T. 

Message 40 of 89
nbgt999
Initiate

Its really bad for a big co as Netgear to have this issues.
And bad support.
Thinking of cancelling my prepaid Premium that is not working.
Message 41 of 89
ASIDAS
Initiate

I purchased SPC for my router RAX45. While trying to activate I get the error code "SPC-ACT-FAIL". Reached out to the support. After 1-1/2 hour the technial support person gave up and scheduled a call back next day. It's 3 days since then no one has reached out to me. Not sure if they really have a solution to this. The support from Netgear is really miserable. It seems unless you purchase their support plan, you are not going to get a support at all. I will cancel the SPC subscription if I don't hear from them in a day.

Message 42 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to a forum moderator:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/Impossible-to-use-premium-features-Smar...

@ASIDAS wrote:

I purchased SPC for my router RAX45. While trying to activate I get the error code "SPC-ACT-FAIL". Reached out to the support. After 1-1/2 hour the technial support person gave up and scheduled a call back next day. It's 3 days since then no one has reached out to me. Not sure if they really have a solution to this. The support from Netgear is really miserable. It seems unless you purchase their support plan, you are not going to get a support at all. I will cancel the SPC subscription if I don't hear from them in a day.

Message 43 of 89
rpark
Aspirant

Can’t setup parental controls. Get an error. Your message said there was a patch performed. But still not working for me.
Message 44 of 89
MatteoPessina
Aspirant

Rif.: Impossible to use premium features: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation ("SPC

I've the same problem. No way to activate premium features

Message 45 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/Impossible-to-use-premium-features-Smar...

@rpark wrote:
Can’t setup parental controls. Get an error. Your message said there was a patch performed. But still not working for me.

Message 46 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Rif.: Impossible to use premium features: Smart Parental Controls App Error on Activation ("SPC

@MatteoPessina wrote:

I've the same problem. No way to activate premium features

Message 47 of 89
admbradford
Aspirant

Is there any update here from netgear? Resolution time?
Message 48 of 89
Milto
Initiate

I purchased a parental control subscription 5 days ago. When I set it up it gives an error code SPC-ACT-FAIL. When I search the support page I can't find any help. When I click on any link for support it sends me back to start again. Apparently I've owned my router too long to deserve to start a ticket or chat or call anyone to get this subscription working to protect my son. A google search led me here. It sounds like some people have found relief. Please help.
Message 49 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

@Milto wrote:
I purchased a parental control subscription 5 days ago. When I set it up it gives an error code SPC-ACT-FAIL. When I search the support page I can't find any help. When I click on any link for support it sends me back to start again. Apparently I've owned my router too long to deserve to start a ticket or chat or call anyone to get this subscription working to protect my son. A google search led me here. It sounds like some people have found relief. Please help.

Message 50 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7