Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet Disruptions on WiFi (ethernet internet and wifi access to NAS not affected)

masterjdog
Aspirant

Internet Disruptions on WiFi (ethernet internet and wifi access to NAS not affected)

I have a Nighthawk AC1750 running firmware v1.0.4.128_10.0.104. For quite sometime I've had intermittent internet service disruptions for my wifi connected devices. It simply stops working, and requires I cycle the router. Key point is that when the internet disruptions occur, this does not prevent wifi connected devices from accessing my NAS or even my Netgear admin portal, nor does it prevent ethernet connected devices from accessing internet. I've tried factory resetting the router to no avail, and previous firmwares also had the same problems. I've also kept config to factory settings other than 1). port forwarding and UPnP for an ethernet connected device; 2). static IP for a couple devices; and 3). parental controls via Circle (although other than enabling I haven't even done any real config on parental controls since last factory reset). There also don't seem to be any obvious errors in the std logs I can access from the Netgear portal, but I don't claim to know much about what verbose logging options are available, how to access them, and what they can provide.

Does anyone have suggestions on what might be the issue, or how I could better troubleshoot this?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
masterjdog
Aspirant

Re: Internet Disruptions on WiFi (ethernet internet and wifi access to NAS not affected)

Just circling back that I made a single change after this last post and simply disabled parental controls (i.e., Circle). It's been over a month and alls been great since...consistent high wifi speeds, not one wifi outage, and haven't had to bounce the router (these outages had been going on for as long as I can remember and occurred with a frequency of no longer than every few days). Not sure if there's a known problem with parental controls specifically affecting wifi (and not wired connections) and don't have much interest in troubleshooting further, but wanted to provide an update for anyone who may be running into something similar in the hopes it may help. Thx to those who weighed in.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet Disruptions on WiFi (ethernet internet and wifi access to NAS not affected)

What model router do you have? AC1750 is a speed.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 10
masterjdog
Aspirant

R6700v3 is the Nighthawk model. The modem is a Arris SB6183. Ethernet cables are all CAT6. And just to clarify, all the ethernet connected devices run through my Nighthawk as well, not direct to the modem.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the front LEDs show any indication of a problem when this happens? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update with out using any backup configurations and not enabling Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.

Message 4 of 10
masterjdog
Aspirant

-- Does the front LEDs show any indication of a problem when this happens? 

no indications of problems

-- Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update with out using any backup configurations and not enabling Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter?

Yes, and I've enabled the few configs I have in place in a phased approach when no problems seem to be occurring. Challenge is the disruptions are intermittent, so at times I may need to wait anywhere from hours to several days for one to occur. I guess the last thing I enabled was Circle, so I could try to turn that off and just wait for a couple weeks to see what happens.

-- Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.

This has all been done

-- Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box.

No splitters 
-- Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Check

-- Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.

I don't power off for a full minute between cycles. I could certainly try it next time this happens, although I'm suspect that would help.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update with out using any backup configurations and not enabling Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter.

Also do a full OFF of the modem and router as well for 1 minute. 

Message 6 of 10
masterjdog
Aspirant

Will give it a shot and report back. Thx!

Message 7 of 10

@masterjdog wrote:

I don't power off for a full minute between cycles. I could certainly try it next time this happens, although I'm suspect that would help.

Go back to the instructions. Do what they say.

Look at Quick Tips in the manual.

This section describes tips for troubleshooting some common problems.

The first one is:

Sequence to Restart Your Network

If you must restart your network, follow this sequence:

1. Turn off and unplug the modem.
  2. Turn off the router.
  3. Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait two minutes.
  4. Turn on the router and wait two minutes.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 8 of 10
masterjdog
Aspirant

Just circling back that I made a single change after this last post and simply disabled parental controls (i.e., Circle). It's been over a month and alls been great since...consistent high wifi speeds, not one wifi outage, and haven't had to bounce the router (these outages had been going on for as long as I can remember and occurred with a frequency of no longer than every few days). Not sure if there's a known problem with parental controls specifically affecting wifi (and not wired connections) and don't have much interest in troubleshooting further, but wanted to provide an update for anyone who may be running into something similar in the hopes it may help. Thx to those who weighed in.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Seen problems with SPC before so not the first time. Might try a factory reset at some point then setup SPC again and see if the problem continues. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7