Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for videos of parental settings for the Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1

Chuckbo
Aspirant

Looking for videos of parental settings for the Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1

I have been so disappointed with parental controls offered by various routers. And I've discovered that sometimes the user guide contains promises that the router can't really do. Are there any links that show the Nighthawk in use where it can:

• set limits for specific computers to use the internet

• set limits for specific computers to access specific websites.

• set limits for specific computers to access specific websites during specific times (e.g. cannot access gaming sites before 4PM)

• review a log of websites accessed by specific computers

• show how to temporarily override the controls that are set up

• show how to do these using an iPhone app

• show how to do these using a Web app

What other useful parental controls does the Nighthawk provide?

Can its controls be set up for wireless and also for ethernet-connected machines?

Message 1 of 10

Re: Looking for videos of parental settings for the Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1

Message 2 of 10
microchip8
Master

You can try NextDNS. It offers parental controls, white- and blacklists, ad blocking, malicious sites blocking, etc. Costs only 20 Euro's/year. I use it myself and am very happy with its services and operation.

https://nextdns.io/
Message 3 of 10
Chuckbo
Aspirant

Thanks for the warning.

The user guide for the CAX80 has an entire chapter on its controls, and I wondered if they really were working or not.

Message 4 of 10

@Chuckbo wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

The user guide for the CAX80 has an entire chapter on its controls, and I wondered if they really were working or not.

I don't know which user guide you were checking, but I can see nothing on parental controls in the User Manual for the CAX80.

However, we've seen that sort of confusion before. Just because something is (or isn't) in the manual isn't an infallible guide.

Unlike older cables modems, the CAX series has firmware (for the router bit) that Netgear can tweak to add things like parental controls. So, just because the manual says nothing isn't a guarantee.

But noodling around the support pages for this device reveals nothing relevant.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CAX80.aspx

Message 5 of 10
Chuckbo
Aspirant

Message 6 of 10

@Chuckbo wrote:

I was looking at chapter 4 in this document.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CAX80/CAX80_UM_EN.pdf?_ga=2.73339731.1716048267.16750445...

That's not "parental controls".

But if it does what you want, fine.

Message 7 of 10
Chuckbo
Aspirant

That's what I'm trying to determine … if it really does what it says it does.

• Can it really limit internet access by device?

• Can it really limit access to specific sites?

• Can it limit access to specific sites by device and during certain time periods?

• Can it report on activity on specific devices?

That's what parents are looking for? That's partly what chapter 4 claims — maybe. But I've had another Netgear router that made claims in advertising that it didn't deliver on. That's why I'm interested in a video that shows these features in action.

Chuck

Message 8 of 10
Chuckbo
Aspirant

• Can it block sites for specific devices?

• Can it block sites for specific devices during certain time periods (e.g. block YouTube from a ChromeBook after 11 PM and before Noon>

• Can it report on activity by device?

Chuck

Message 9 of 10

@Chuckbo wrote:

That's why I'm interested in a video that shows these features in action.

I understand that, and it makes sense, but looking for videos on parental controls, the subject of your first message, will not get you very far.

Access Control does not claim to allow parental controls as most people understand them.

Those controls are really intended as security measures, keeping nasty things at bay.

Now that you have listed what you want to achieve, maybe you'll get informed advice.

Some of the things on your lists look suspiciously like parental controls, especially when it comes to the timed slots.

Because you are talking about a specific device, the CAX80, you might do better to ask for help in the section where they talk about those devices.

Cable Modems & Gateways - NETGEAR Communities

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7