Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR SMART HOME PARENTAL CONTROL

AE8U
Aspirant

NETGEAR SMART HOME PARENTAL CONTROL

Hello group,

I have a Nighthawk R8500 acting as my router/DHCP with an Orbi RBR750 mesh system with 2 satellites acting as an access point. I have discovered that the R8500 does not support the Parental Control System but the Orbi does. Can I make it work with my system configured as described? If so, how do I make it work? I have the Nighthawk smart phone app configured and working fine. But I cannot get the Orbi app to work. It seems only to find the Nighthawk since it seems to be looking for the router. All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: NETGEAR SMART HOME PARENTAL CONTROL

It may depend on which flavour of Parental Controls you have in mind.

AP mode disables a lot:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This applies to Nighthawk and Orbi devuces.

The Orbi app should find an Orbi in AP mode. It does here.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You could disable the wifi radios on the R8500 and use this routers DMZ for the RBR750 and use the 750 in router mode and enable SPC on the RBR. 

@AE8U wrote:

Hello group,

I have a Nighthawk R8500 acting as my router/DHCP with an Orbi RBR750 mesh system with 2 satellites acting as an access point. I have discovered that the R8500 does not support the Parental Control System but the Orbi does. Can I make it work with my system configured as described? If so, how do I make it work? I have the Nighthawk smart phone app configured and working fine. But I cannot get the Orbi app to work. It seems only to find the Nighthawk since it seems to be looking for the router. All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 3 of 5
AE8U
Aspirant

Hello and thanks for the feedback. I think it might be wise if I provide some information about why I am running the R8500 as the router and the Orbi as an access point. Maybe there is a better approach.

I have a smart home setup managed by Home Assistant running in a Virtual Machine. On my smartphone I run Tasker. When I am away from home, and return - when my smartphone connects to the WiFi, it opens my garage door by Tasker signaling a wifi switch to energize the garage door opener. This worked fine when I had only the R8500 router.

But there were some dead spots in the rear of my house, so I decided to upgrade to an Orbi mesh system. Now there is a lag before the garage door opens. Sometimes the lag is a minute or more. In fact just recently I thought it was not going to open at all. So I opened it with the manual remote, and as I drove through - it triggered and tried to close, coming down on the cab of my truck.

So I was thinking it might be more responsive with the R8500 router and Orbi access point. But of course, now I have Parental Smart Control no longer working.

Is there a way to fix the Orbi lag? If so I can go back to the Orbi as a router and eliminate the R8500.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7