Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Parental Control RBR50 V2.7.3.22

Miguel20
Aspirant

No Parental Control RBR50 V2.7.3.22

Orbi firmware auto updated to v2.7.3.22 and there are no parental controls now and Circle no longer can connect. I reverted to V2.6.1.40 and the functionality comes back. Then a few hours later (or overnight) the router auto updates to v2.7.3.22 again.

I can't find a way to disable firmware auto updates either

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats listed under Basic Tab? 
SPC will be seen under the Basic tab if and when it shows up.

You might try this on this version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

I had to do this once after accidently selecting the upgrade to SPC button incorrectly. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 18
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Miguel20 wrote:

Orbi firmware auto updated to v2.7.3.22 and there are no parental controls now and Circle no longer can connect. I reverted to V2.6.1.40 and the functionality comes back. Then a few hours later (or overnight) the router auto updates to v2.7.3.22 again.

You seem to be missing some information here.

Are you saying you selected the upgrade to Smart Parental Controls from the web UI and it didn't work or are you asking how to enable the SPC since it replaces Circle in recent firmwares?

In my case, when I enabled SPC within a few hours most of my devices showed offline and it's been a struggle to get them back to to showing the correct status. After disabling SPC and about a day there are only about 10 or so devices still showing offline ... you may get better results.

Not really very good for a subscription service in that it's more or less unusable just like it is on the RBR800 series (but for different reasons).

Message 3 of 18
Miguel20
Aspirant

This is helpful (I think).

1) SPC replaces Circle? I did not know this and that would explain why Circle no longer works

2) I don't see an option to enable SPC in the web UI but I do see the option in the App. It does not appear to have free version or even a trial version correct?
3) Does SPC effective while off the Orbi wifi or only when on the wifi? I would prefer to have a control mechanism that works regardless of the network it is connected to. 

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

This is supposed to be the new process for SPC:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062852/How-do-I-upgrade-from-Circle-to-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls

I'll take a look at mine. I believe SPC is enabled on mine thats got v22 loaded and it was working. 

@Miguel20 wrote:

1) SPC replaces Circle? I did not know this and that would explain why Circle no longer works

2) I don't see an option to enable SPC in the web UI but I do see the option in the App. It does not appear to have free version or even a trial version correct?
3) Does SPC effective while off the Orbi wifi or only when on the wifi? I would prefer to have a control mechanism that works regardless of the network it is connected to. 

Message 5 of 18
Aggie88
Apprentice

I am on 2.7.3.22 on my RBK50 system and it still runs Circle.  My Circle subscription is good until November.  I don't see anything on SPC that really makes me want to switch over so I'll wait until it gets closer before I decide.

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

SPC and Circle 1st Gen are working and present on v22 on my RBR50:

BasicTabSPCEnabled.pngSPCEnabled.png

Mine had been enabled back on v104. v22 was applied over v104 and I had never done a factory reset, only a full power OFF of the RBR50. So it's been on there since v104. And it's SPC. SPC however is managed by the Circle 1st gen app. So when Parental Controls appear on the Orbi App and you tab that tile, it opens the Circle 1st gen app or if you don't have it installed, it should direct you to install it. 

Circle 1st Gen setup process as seen here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

Message 7 of 18
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Miguel20 wrote:

1) It does.

2) It took me a while to find it too.

If Advanced->Security->Parental Controls is visible it should have an option to convert to Netgear SPC.

3) Haven't investigated that, there is a phone app, check the linked pages there's probably info. there.

The SPC integration with the Orbi app is good, functionality seems good and it looks good too.

Beware though, many of my devices got marked as offline within hours of enabling it never to return ... I have spend ages getting them back after disabling it!

Message 8 of 18
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Miguel20 wrote:

You don't get anything useful unless you subscribe.

There is a one month trial before a subscription becomes active.

Message 9 of 18
Miguel20
Aspirant

No Parental Control option for me...

Screenshot 2021-08-23 195033.pngScreenshot 2021-08-23 194925.png

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Please use the Choose FIle options to attach your pictures as we have to wait for pictures to be approved.

@Miguel20 wrote:

No Parental Control option for me...

Screenshot 2021-08-23 195033.pngScreenshot 2021-08-23 194925.png

Message 11 of 18
Miguel20
Aspirant

Uploading image of menu with no Parental Control option

Message 12 of 18
Miguel20
Aspirant

Can only do 1 image at a time ... 

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats listed under Basic Tab? 
SPC will be seen under the Basic tab if and when it shows up.

You might try this on this version of FW:

I had to do this once after accidently selecting the upgrade to SPC button incorrectly. 

Message 14 of 18
Miguel20
Aspirant

Basic Tab

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if it works for you...

@ScottBush wrote:

Thanks for this solution. I also have the same case.

Message 16 of 18
m_mirakhor
Aspirant

My router automatically updated to version 2.7.3.22, at the time i had circle for Disney enabled and it carried over with the upgrade, i was on the app one day and it asked if i wanted to go over to Smart parental control which i did and it worked fine, up until today when for some reason i have been having network issues so i figured i would factory reset the orbi as i haven’t done so in a while.
After the reset had completed and proceeded to set up the orbi via the mobile app but for some reason the parental option did not appear i logged into the orbi via the web portal it also was not there. As i was trying to figure out what went wrong it "magically" appeared on the phone app, took about 30 min however it hasn’t appeared on the web portal which doesn’t bother me because it works

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe NG maybe removing the SPC from the RBRs web page and only having it appear on the Orbi app as most of the configuration is done thru the Orbi app. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7