Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI Mesh RBR760 CPU Usage due to Parental Controls

wvkregten
Aspirant

ORBI Mesh RBR760 CPU Usage due to Parental Controls

rbr760.png

Hello,

When I activate my subscribed and paid for Parental Controls the CPU of the RBR760 goes up to 90 to 100% CPU usage constantly and never returns to normal values. When I switch it off it return to 20% to 30% usage.

What can I do besides turn it off? I need the Parental controls and paid for them as well.

Firmware is up to date and settings are default, beside ipv6 and upnp are on. This does not impact CPU usage badly though.

Parental on.png

Parental off.png

Hope all is clear, willing to provide additional information. 

Please move my topic to the appropriate section if needed.

Message 1 of 36

Re: ORBI Mesh RBR760 CPU Usage due to Parental Controls

@wvkregten wrote:

When I activate my subscribed and paid for Parental Controls the CPU of the RBR760 goes up to 90 to 100% CPU usage constantly and never returns to normal values. When I switch it off it return to 20% to 30% usage.

Does this affect your internet connection in some way?

Try also here:

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Yes, dns request are slow and internet feels sluggish. I got 1 GB down so I notice it fast.

Beside that, CPU at 100% all the time ain't good. And the clear cause is Parental control. 

I also use Netgear Armor, this takes appr. 10% of CPU long term.

For now I disabled both and router is now at around 20% CPU usage.

Message 3 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

RBRB760 high CPU due to Parental control

wvkregten_0-1674471014123.png

Hello,

What can I do besides turn it off? I need the Parental controls and paid for them as well.

Firmware is up to date and settings are default, beside ipv6 and upnp are on. This does not impact CPU usage badly though.

wvkregten_1-1674471014281.png

wvkregten_2-1674471014562.png

Hope all is clear, willing to provide additional information. 

Message 4 of 36
plemans
Guru

Re: RBRB760 high CPU due to Parental control

Parental controls has to do traffic inspection. so its going to have a higher usage. Maybe shouldn't be quite that high but higher than normal as the CPU has to do the inspection. 

Message 5 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

I understand that some inspection has to be done although the main feature for me is the on / off timings of devices for the kids.

But it should not make the network and internet unusable and at the moment this is the problem.

Download and transfer speeds drop to 10% of normal capacity at random times. With PC off it works fine.

Message 6 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Any suggestions from you or @netgear?

Message 7 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Any help or suggestions? @netgear 

Message 8 of 36
plemans
Guru

Not a whole lot. I don't use parental controls so I don't have a comparison to test against. 

You could always try the nuclear option and factory reset and reinstall. Maybe some process it "stuck" on and causing it to be pegged at 100%

Message 9 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

No, then a reboot should fix that. The CPU Load also drops sometimes. So it is not permanent.

The average load is always above 55%, 

Message 10 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What all do you have connected to the system? 

Does the CPU usage go down and remain constantly low if you disable SPC? 

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. Don't use the Orbi app and void connecting to the system with the Orbi app. 

Review the CPU usage after you get the system setup. What are the usage values seen at this point and do they remain low and stable here? 

Message 11 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Connectobox V2

Connectbox Giga | Klantenservice | Ziggo

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

I use CAT6

What all do you have connected to the system? 

40 devices max of which 10 IOT 2,4G few mobiles, 3 tv, 2 pcs most wired.

Does the CPU usage go down and remain constantly low if you disable SPC? 

Yes to steady 20%

Message 12 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 first...

Message 13 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

The modem is in bridge and wifi is off from day 1.

Message 14 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try. Change the SSID name to something else. Disconnect the RBR from the modem. Disconnect all ethernet devices from the RBR. Enable SPC. Check the debug page again, CPU still high? 

Reconnect everything and change the SSID name back to what you had. 

Message 15 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Hello,

I tried this today. When all devices were offline but my Oneplus8t which I used for measurements, this was the CPU usage which SPC off:

See the attachments: With spc off and 1 device it is around 30%.

wvkregten_0-1675068323491.png

With SPC on and 1 device it is about 70 to 80%.

wvkregten_1-1675068347528.png

See attachment for router status.

Message 16 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is loaded on the system? Both RBR and RBS running same version of FW? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

@KevinLiT 

Message 17 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Hi,

The firmware for all is the latest.

wvkregten_0-1675092710861.png

V6.3.6.4_1.2.68

I already did a full reset and config reset for all devices (router+2 satellites) 

My network DHCP on Orbi is already setup to serve DHCP from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200.

wvkregten_1-1675092821634.png

I have IPV6 on and UpnP, as well as SPC and Armor.

wvkregten_3-1675092962691.png

wvkregten_4-1675092977302.png

Any other suggestions or I will ask a refund from Netgear 🙂

Message 18 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

So with a factory reset and setup from scratch, don't enable IPv6, Armor, SPC with all devices disconnected accept for 1 wired PC. Might check this as well while disconnected from the ISP modem. 

Seems like something on the system is running a bit too high even with most things disconnected and features not enabled. 

Message 19 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Yeah, it seems. Can it be a network loop? I doubt it but not a clue what else. Dual core CPU aint great also on the 760 😞

I will get back to you after testing.

I set up a trigger in Home Assistant:

wvkregten_0-1675094843031.png

Message 20 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible when it comes to Orbi.

Hoping to see a change after a FR and EVERYTHING disconnected and not enabled from the RBR. Really should be a low value here. Something NG will need to check on yours if it's still high.

Message 21 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Ok will do soon, because this is not normal CPU usage right?

wvkregten_0-1675096582296.png

Message 22 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What are you using to check the RBR CPU usage? Interesting. 

Message 23 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

I use Home assistant on my Synology NAS in Docker: Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

in HA i can setup an entity that RBR provides with CPU usage information.

See setting:

wvkregten_0-1675096862985.png

Message 24 of 36
wvkregten
Aspirant

Wizard based coding:

type: entities
entities:
- entity: sensor.rbr760_cpu_utilization
title: CPU Router Orbi
state_color: true