Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Overnight device activity consuming allowed time

TyrionL
Apprentice

Overnight device activity consuming allowed time

The devices attached to my son's profile are using the network during overnight (when he's not actually using the devices) and consuming time allocated to him.  Both of these devices are kept on standby/sleep during off hours.  For example, on my son's MacBook, the certain Safari tabs, OneDrive, Discord as well as Roblox apps intermittently use the network.  The XBox does the same (screenshot attached).  As a workaround, I've asked my son to close the Discord and Roblox apps when he's done for the day but sometimes he forgets.IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

I attempted to use Bedtime hours from 10pm-7am to block this unexpected network access but last night the Xbox was chattering (see screenshot) and 1h and 45 mins of time was used despite Parental Controls saying "[My son's name] didn't spend any time online 01/09", which is true since he hasn't woken up yet.  🙂

How do I prevent/block these device from using time overnight? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 35
schumaku
Guru

The most normal thing in in operating computers and similar devices. Even if nobody is actively using (e.g. open the screen, unlock, ...) or logged in on a Windows or MacOS many things can go on. Operating system updates securoty updates, App/program updates, game updates, ... Welcome to the year 2022.

Message 2 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

Right, I know all that. Generally a laptop that’s in Sleep mode should have none to minimal activity but it appears a number of services/daemons on macOS run regardless. Same with XBox.

So that’s why I thought Bedtime settings would prevent these systems from chewing up my son’s quota but apparently it doesn’t.

Any useful suggestions would be welcome.
Message 3 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

I paused my son's internet access at around 9:40pm ET yesterday, and this morning, 2:35hours of time was used.  Hisotry doesn't log any visits since 9:40pm yesterday, yet time is being consumed.  How is this possible?

Looking at the Uncategorized log, there's a list of IPs that seemed to have consumed all the time.  These IPs belong to Apple, so calls to these IPs must originate from my son's iPhone or MacBook.  My question is (and it's related to my Bedtime question above), if my son's internet access is paused, how are these calls allowed to be made by Orbi?

IMG_7190.PNG

=============

IMG_7191.PNG

=============

IMG_89115658A2A5-1.jpeg

Message 4 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Please verify the Orbi model system your using?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What mobile devices are you using for Orbi app? 

Let see if we can get some moderator review on this...

@DarrenM @Blanca_O @RVALENZ 

Message 5 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

1. Please verify the Orbi model system your using?
    1. Orbi RBR 50
  2. What Firmware version is currently loaded?
    1. V2.7.3.22
  3. What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
    1. AT&T Fiber 1Gbps, using the Pace 5268AC gateway
  4. What mobile devices are you using for Orbi app? 
    1. iPhone 13

Thank you @FURRYe38 

Message 6 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

@TyrionL wrote:
  1. Please verify the Orbi model system your using?
    1. Orbi RBR 50
  2. What Firmware version is currently loaded?
    1. V2.7.3.22
  3. What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
    1. AT&T Fiber 1Gbps, using the Pace 5268AC gateway< What mode is the Gateway working in? I presume router mode? This modem already has a built in router and wifi. 
  4. What mobile devices are you using for Orbi app? 
    1. iPhone 13

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Is the devices that are being controlled have a IP address reservation on the RBR? 

Message 7 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

1. Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

1. No.  I shouldn't have to do that to get basic functionality to work.
  2. Is the devices that are being controlled have a IP address reservation on the RBR?

1. No, why is this necessary?  

Message 8 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

Same problem this morning.  Internet paused last night, yet almost two hours depleted overnight by devices in my son's profile.  How can this happen?

IMG_7200.PNG

Message 9 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

@TyrionL wrote:
  1. Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

1. No.  I shouldn't have to do that to get basic functionality to work. Basic troubleshooting step. May need to clear things out and start fresh to ensure the system is configured and working well. Could be anything and we don't know what has been configured on the system by users. Also FW may be a cause and needs to be cleared out and start fresh to see if the problem continues or can be resolved. If not then this will need to be looked at by NG support. 
  2. Is the devices that are being controlled have a IP address reservation on the RBR?

1. No, why is this necessary?  Might need to set a reservation to ensure the system and configuration are working with the desired devices. 

Message 10 of 35
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TyrionL

Let me check on this. I will get back to you for any updates.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 11 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

@Blanca_O any updates?  

I called Neatgear support twice this week and both times, after I connected to a human, I was put on hold for 30+ minutes, and forced to drop in utter frustration.   Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 35
marshall2553
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem.  I have an RBR850 + satellites running 4.6.7.5.  Despite having a bedtime set, my daughter's iPad and Kindle Fire eat into her allowed time overnight while in sleep/standby mode.  Conversely, the usage stats during the day when she's actually using the devices are way below the actual time she spends streaming videos or playing games.  I know the firmware I'm running hasn't been officially released yet, but I was seeing both of these issues before upgrading.

At this point I don't feel like smart parental controls offer enough value to justify renewing once my trial period ends.  Time limits and rewards are the main features I'm interested in, I can accomplish the other stuff with free tools.

Message 13 of 35
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TyrionL @marshall2553

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 14 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

Today, even before my son returned from school, his devices managed to use 3 hours and 20 minutes.   The funny thing is that his limit is 3 hours.  Smiley Very Happy, so somehow the devices managed to use more time than the Orbi should allow.

IMG_7750785BFA9C-1.jpeg

Message 15 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep in contact with the forum Moderator please. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 16 of 35
Longtrail
Aspirant

Thanks for submitting this issue; I'm also having the same issue and now regret having signed up for this.  The whole purpose is to control how long kids spend on their devices; this background consumption of the alloted time makes the whole thing pretty much useless.  Was any of this ever tested?

It should also be possible to whitelist devices (such as an Amazon Alexa or equivalent) to use unlimited data.

Message 17 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

Netgear support has a case open investigating this issue.  So far, no updates.  I'll post any useful info here as I get updates.

Message 18 of 35
Longtrail
Aspirant

Thank you, really appreciate it.  You can imagine my kids are not to happy with me!!!

Message 19 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

Believe it or not, it's been over 6 months and Netgear Support is still trying to troubleshoot this.  Repeatedly described the problem, how to reproduce it, and sent Orbi debug logs, yet still not resolved.

Message 20 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

Almost a year now, and the case is still open. The people at Netgear that I've dealt with behave like a bunch of bumbling fools. For a command line utility they want me to run:

• Multiple times they sent me the wrong CPU type (M1 instead of Intel)
  • The utility doesn't work as expected
  • They can't explain basic parameters the utility needs

So many wasted emails and times with multiple front line clueless tech support people.

Message 21 of 35
M34doors
Aspirant

I guess there is still no update from Netgear?  I am having the same issue like many other Netgear users out there, and Netgear just REALLY DON'T CARE!!

Message 22 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

No tangible progress. Because of the sheer incompetence of the Netgear support team, we've been trying since May 2022 to configure a utility called telnet to connect from one of my laptops to the Orbi router. This should've taken at most, a few days but due to remarkable ineptitude of Netgear support, it has take 8 months of back and forth emails/calls! A couple of days ago, we made a breakthrough and I was able to telnet from my laptop to the Orbi router. Now, I have to wait for Netgear engineer to do a remote session to see what's happening. Who knows how long that will take. My case has been open for over a year, so what's a few more months?

Message 23 of 35
Longtrail
Aspirant

Thanks for following up on this, I'm not sure why they would need to Telnet to your router (Telnet is just a way to login to look at the router, like a command prompt on Windows or xterm on mac), this has to be a fundamental issue with the software that impacts everyone...  Devices chatter to the internet to check the status of things, so long as the device is switched on and running this is going to happen.  Ideally Netgear (being networking "experts") would figure out the IP addresses of service accounts (like Windows update for example) and the whitelist these so that they don't consume the kids allowance...  The idea of this service is good but it's fundamentally flawed and useless as far as I can tell.  I have a cheap TP-link router that does all of this for free and does a much better job (it's actually a darn nice device for the money).  Anyway, I voted with my wallet:

Longtrail_0-1674852748117.png

Your post came at the perfect time to remind me to cancel the subscription!

Message 24 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

I'm quite familiar with telnet, I've used it since the early 90s. But I was shocked when Netgear insisted I install it, given that it's basically obsolete since it's insecure compared to alternatives like ssh. Anyway, I think Netgear wants to do a remote session via TeamViewer, telnet to my router, get live diagnostics, while I repro the problem. State of the art.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7