Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Overnight device activity consuming allowed time

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Overnight device activity consuming allowed time

Wondering if maybe they wanna capture debug logs. Telnet was removed back in mid v3 FW versions years ago. So it's not seen on the debug page. Unless they have a backdoor method, I don't think they will get telnet working normally. 

Message 26 of 35
Longtrail
Aspirant

Right, I do believe ssh was also mentioned in another post I saw once upon a time; I'm surprised there not using that!?

Message 27 of 35
Longtrail
Aspirant

Not sure what there is to debug, you can see in the app what traffic is being permitted and hence using the allotted hours, simply go to Profile and then history.  As a parent why can't I whitelist the internet chatter so the kids gets a fair shot at using their hours?  Again, in the absence of any feedback from Netgear I assume they don't care and rely on new subscribers to figure out that it's a service that (1) Doesn't care about the people paying their salaries and (2) Makes no difference if it works as advertised on not...

Message 28 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, heard talk of SSH as well. Not sure why there not using yet. 

Message 29 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Debug logs can get other data for diagnostic and troubleshooting the NG can look at. Can't see that on the face of some things. Need the behind the scenes data sometimes. 

Message 30 of 35
Longtrail
Aspirant

Makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is the lack of action on Netgear's part; this is really a fundamental issue in it's usefulness; I'm flabbergasted at the lack of attention to detail.

Message 31 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 Debug logs were sent over a period of months from Feb-Jun 2022. When the root cause of the problem didn't reveal itself in the debug logs, the next step was for Netgear to telnet. That took the better part of 6 months to set up, thanks to the cluelessness of Netgear support. Telnet is not on the debug page. I was provided a program called telnetenable which I had to run on my laptop, presumably to activate telnet on the router. So after 6 months of futility, last week a telnet connection was established between my laptop and the Orbi router. Now I'm awaiting a callback from Netgear engineering to repro the problem, observe, collect diagnostics via telnet.

@Longtrail no ssh, just telnet. Once I connected via telnet, the opening screen revealed a Linux variant based on busybox. Didn't go any further than logging into the router. 

Message 32 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Keep on NG about this. Hopefully they can get what they need from telnet.

@KevinLiT 

Message 33 of 35
TyrionL
Apprentice

Here's the Orbi OS.  About 215 processing running.

TyrionL_0-1675096330917.png

Message 34 of 35
Longtrail
Aspirant

Very nice, I see you're straight  in as the root account...

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7