Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Parental Control stopped working

dd-walker
Tutor

Parental Control stopped working

I have Parent Control subscription for about a month. It's been working fine. But today it stopped working. It doesn't show usage History and doesn't limit the usage.

The firmware version is 2.7.3.22.

What shall I do? Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Chuckg1
Star

Re: Parental Control stopped working (SPC fail after Circle migration)

(For some reason all the other related topics have been marked as closed)

Netgear Support finally resolved the issue I had with SPC not working following the force migration in January 2022. Basically, it would work for a  few hours and then stop applying rules, logging history, etc. It was resolved end of October. 

The problem was caused by Circle settings not allowing Netgear SPC to work. Level 3 support recreated by setup in their lab and built a script that deleted all trace of Circle.

After running this script into the router, I did factory reset and reinstalled the app. The profiles weren’t lost and SPC has been working for 2 weeks non stop now.

So if you are a previous Circle user on Orbi and could never make SPC work, they have a solution. Just need to point them to Level 3 script they have built. (PM me for my case number)

Thank you to Bernard for Level 2 who finally got this resolved.  

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 22

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a simple reboot? 

Message 2 of 22
dd-walker
Tutor

Yes, power-cycled many times. 

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What device(s) have you installed Orbi app and Circle on? Try a different device to compare results? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@dd-walker wrote:

I have Parent Control subscription for about a month. It's been working fine. But today it stopped working. It doesn't show usage History and doesn't limit the usage.

The firmware version is 2.7.3.22.

What shall I do? Thanks.

Message 4 of 22
dd-walker
Tutor

I'm using Comcast (business) Internet. The modem model is Cisco DPC3008.

I installed the Orbi app on my android phone. 

I haven't tried factory reset. 

Message 5 of 22
dd-walker
Tutor

I called tech support, and was told to do a reset. Afterwards, parental control works again.

Message 6 of 22
plemans
Guru

Happy it was the easy of a fix. 

If you mark your solution as solved, it might help the next person with that problem. 

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@dd-walker wrote:

I called tech support, and was told to do a reset. Afterwards, parental control works again.

Message 8 of 22
Chuckg1
Star

dd-walker, it will fail again. 

Join the club of the factory resetters that make it work for 2-3 days and then it will stop working again.  They have no clue what is the root cause. I have a case opened with Netgear on the same version and hardware and in the mean time, paying for a subscription on a product that shows no history, no usage, no filters. I didnt the whole factory reset, reinstall app, redo configs many many times and it always end up failing after a few days. This product is not working. Too bad they forced us to go away from Circle.

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Is SPC still working for you? 

@dd-walker wrote:

Message 10 of 22
Chuckg1
Star

3 times in one month I had to do the factory reset, install config, reinstall app, rebuild profile. It only bought me 2-3 days of working SPC before it fails again and stops tracking usage or applying filters. I stopped wasting my time and ask Netgear to find a fix ASAP. Case is still open. Circle worked more than a year with zero interruption. SPC from Netgear is broken. 

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a case open with NG support then keep in contact with them until the problem is resolves as theres nothing else we can help you with here in the forums.

Good Luck. 

@Chuckg1 wrote:

3 times in one month I had to do the factory reset, install config, reinstall app, rebuild profile. It only bought me 2-3 days of working SPC before it fails again and stops tracking usage or applying filters. I stopped wasting my time and ask Netgear to find a fix ASAP. Case is still open. Circle worked more than a year with zero interruption. SPC from Netgear is broken. 

Message 12 of 22
Chipchan
Aspirant

I have had success turning parental control off and then back on at the settings page.

The cloud icon on upper left corner takes you to a menu:

Settings>Parental Control>enable Smart Parental Control: off then wait a while and then on again.

Hope this helps.

Message 13 of 22
Chuckg1
Star

(For some reason all the other related topics have been marked as closed)

Netgear Support finally resolved the issue I had with SPC not working following the force migration in January 2022. Basically, it would work for a  few hours and then stop applying rules, logging history, etc. It was resolved end of October. 

The problem was caused by Circle settings not allowing Netgear SPC to work. Level 3 support recreated by setup in their lab and built a script that deleted all trace of Circle.

After running this script into the router, I did factory reset and reinstalled the app. The profiles weren’t lost and SPC has been working for 2 weeks non stop now.

So if you are a previous Circle user on Orbi and could never make SPC work, they have a solution. Just need to point them to Level 3 script they have built. (PM me for my case number)

Thank you to Bernard for Level 2 who finally got this resolved.  

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know the details and glad there seems to be a solution. 

Message 15 of 22
Belomni
Aspirant

An you give me your case number for parental control post circle customer fix?
Message 16 of 22
maninarena
Aspirant

I can't get netgear, orbi or armour to stop anything through parental controls or otherwise, can you share your solution with me?

thanks,

Pat

Maninarena@yahoo.com

Message 17 of 22
miniz98
Aspirant

Can you send me the script? Mine has been so problematic.
Message 18 of 22
miniz98
Aspirant

Please message me your case number they cannot fix my issue i have a stuck profile that cannot be deleted.

Message 19 of 22
Samchakr
Aspirant

Hi,

I have been facing the same issue and Netgear support has been sitting on this issue since Dec 19th! Could you please share your case number which helped resolve the issue. Much appreciated and thank you!
Message 20 of 22
miniz98
Aspirant

My case finally was moved to a engineer high level support. I will let you know when they fix it.
Message 21 of 22
GENEXXA
Aspirant

I am having this issue too. And there is no update for the router (RAX50) either.
Can someone send me the file?
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7