Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 DNS problem

daledx00
Aspirant

RBR850 DNS problem

So Parental Controls turned itself on in my Orbi app on my 'phone - Netgear seems to have opted me into a trial without my consent. As a result, my Orbi RBR850 router has now selected Comcast's DNS servers in the web app and greyed out the option to change DNS servers (I always use public DNS servers). How can I get rid of Parental Controls so that I can again select my own DNS servers? I have turned Parental Controls off in the Orbi app but the DNS selection remains greyed out. 

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try to power OFF the router for 30 seconds then back ON after disabling SPC in the Orbi app? 

Might need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. Don't setup using Orbi app.

Message 2 of 4
daledx00
Aspirant

I turned off Parental Controls in the app then used the web app to install a back-up of my router settings (in which I had used the public DNS). This worked but the issues remain - why Parental Controls self-activated in the Orbi app and why the DNS Address selection in the web app was greyed out (still is, by the way). If this happens again (where the web app changes my DNS settings to my ISP instead of my preferred public DNS provider and greys out my ability to change back) then I will again install the back-up for the router.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. Don't install from a back up. The backup may have the problem included. Once the RBR is setup from scratch fully, with out any SPC enabled and you set custom DNS that you set. Then save off a new backup config to file at this point. Might avoid using Orbi app as well. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7