Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 - SPC trial MISTAKENLY activated - Cannot set custom DNS servers?

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 - SPC trial MISTAKENLY activated - Cannot set custom DNS servers?

Good to hear. I was hoping a reset with out the RBR connected to the Internet would result in something. Seems odd that something is preventing that from happening whilest  connected to internet services. Must be something on NG side that maybe effecting that... 

Message 26 of 30
Batch48
Aspirant

Agree that something at the NG device registration serves prevent the DNS config.

I’m convinced that the NG device registration servers see the SPC trial activation on my RBR device and send SPC-specific config to my RBR device when it checks in.

So far, nearly 24 hours after recent reset and reconfig, the DNS servers are still persistent on my RBR device.

Fingers still crossed that this success is durable.

Message 27 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thats part of SPC, they user there own specific DNS, so if SPC gets enabled, custome DNS on the RBR gets grayed out. 

A factory reset should clear that out however if the service is active between the RBR and NG, NG may re-enable it during the reset so whic is why when you disconnected the RBR from the ISP modem and reset and setup from scratch with out it connected to the ISP modem, the RBR wasn't effected by NGs SPC services checking on the state. 

Ya you should be good. I would do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 28 of 30
Batch48
Aspirant

Yes, I saved a device config backup file last night. Thanks for the prompt to do so!

Message 29 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7