Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SPC VPN can be deleted

DCP4971
Luminary

SPC VPN can be deleted

Hi all,

I've just tried moving from Circle, that I really didn't like, to SPC, which does on the face of it seem much more integrated and so far seems to be tracking activity well.

The issue I seem to have, and would be interested in other's experience, is around the device app.

I've only installed it on one iPad, but with the VPN in situ, it seems possible for the user to delete the VPN and I can't see any way to use Screen Time controls to prevent changes.

If this is th way it works, it feels like a flaw in the way the app is managing things. If I'm adding thse for my children, I don't really want them to be able to delete it..or at the very least, I would like to be notified that the VPN has been removed.

Anyone else had this experience?

Cheers

Message 1 of 8
DCP4971
Luminary

Actually, I think this isn't quire as bad as I thought, the Orbi app notifies me when the vpn has been removed. But, would be better if it wasn't possible at all..though we are then into the more complex profiles, but for £7 a month, perhaps that's what I'd expect for parental controls.

It does still seem like a better product than Circle though..

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

My knowledge of "I-Things" is limited. This situation appears to be a consequence of the iPad having a single login, which has access to everything.  This seems to be an enduring problem in the "I-World", for example:

https://www.macworld.com/article/233075/it-s-past-time-for-the-ipad-to-support-multiple-accounts.htm... 

You may want to experiment with something called Guided Access:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202612 

The sense I get is that Guided Access can create accounts on an iPad that are unable to do certain things, such as access network settings.

(Confession: after finding this link and having no iPad to try it on, my attention wandered.  This may be no help at all.)

Message 3 of 8
djstev1e
Aspirant

This feature is useless because it can be disabled easily at least on IPhone. Even if i removed access to uninstall the app, my kid still found way to disable the VPN. Anyone have any tips?
Message 4 of 8
djstev1e
Aspirant

Bueler Bueler .. anyone?

Message 5 of 8
djstev1e
Aspirant

I guess I will not be resubscribing after the trail ends.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@djstev1e wrote:

I guess I will not be resubscribing after the trail ends.

To be honest, I have given little thought to Parental Controls, my offspring having moved out over 20 years ago.

Am not aware of glowing recommendations for any solution. (Certainly not any of Netgear's efforts.)

Seems to me that control of the device is a key requirement. There is only so much a network utility can do, and highly motivated teenagers are really creative.

Message 7 of 8
djstev1e
Aspirant

I understand your point.  But why provide a half bake solution specially if it's a paid feature.  It Is what it is  I guess.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7