Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Smart Parental Controls - wrong time zone after returning home from trip

jcmonteiro42
Aspirant

Smart Parental Controls - wrong time zone after returning home from trip

NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls (SPC) thinks I'm in MDT time zone, while I'm in fact on EDT. Because of that the bedtime limits are 2 hours off, i.e., my son is able to use his tablet for 2 hours past bedtime, and in the morning his tablet won't work until 8:30 (even though it's set to wake up at 6:30).

I never had this problem until last week when we returned to NY from a trip to Utah. Apparently, SPC still thinks we're in Utah, even though the time zone setting of all devices (router, my phone where the Nighthawk app is, my son's tablet) is set to EDT (NT time). All devices are set to update time zones automatically, and they all did correctly.

I saw online some people complaining about a similar issue with the Circle app, for which there is a posted solution ( https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026373812-Managing-Circle-s-Timezone-Settings ) that basically boils down to re-installing Circle on the parent's device. Assuming that SPC would be similar enough to Circle I thought of trying that on my phone, so I re-installed the Nighthawk app. However, that did not help in my case.

Has anyone run into a similar problem? Do you know the solution for this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
jcmonteiro42
Aspirant

I was able to solve this problem by resetting the router, using the resetting the router. You can find the reset hole at the rear of the router and using a paperclip, you push in the button and hold it in for 10 seconds. You'll then have to re-setup the router using your phone app - to make it easy on you, make sure you configure it using the same WiFi name and password that you're currently using, this way all your home devices will be able to connect to the router again automatically.

More importantly, after resetting the router, the Smart Parental Controls was using my local time zone again!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
LeoGagen
Aspirant

Exactly the same thing just happened to me after returning from the US to Australia.  I've had to disable that feature.

Message 2 of 6
jcmonteiro42
Aspirant

I was able to solve this problem by resetting the router, using the resetting the router. You can find the reset hole at the rear of the router and using a paperclip, you push in the button and hold it in for 10 seconds. You'll then have to re-setup the router using your phone app - to make it easy on you, make sure you configure it using the same WiFi name and password that you're currently using, this way all your home devices will be able to connect to the router again automatically.

More importantly, after resetting the router, the Smart Parental Controls was using my local time zone again!

Message 3 of 6
Lampshade341
Aspirant

I have the exact issue and it was from going to Utah too while accessing the Anywhere feature of the router. I do not want to reset everything to fix this. Frustrating 😞
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like a a reset and setup from scratch is needed along with making sure the time on the router is accurate and in the correct time zone for your region. 

@Lampshade341 wrote:
I have the exact issue and it was from going to Utah too while accessing the Anywhere feature of the router. I do not want to reset everything to fix this. Frustrating 😞

Message 5 of 6
gvanbelle
Aspirant

We encountered this same problem returning to the AZ time zone after a trip to the Atlantic time zone. 

I fixed this NOT by a full router reset (which is tedious, in having to have to re-setup lots of things on the router).  Rather, I found that switching the time zones on my phone back & forth between other zones (eg. Pacific) and my home time zone fixed things.  Perhaps this updates the Orbi app on the phone, or the router, or both?  It's a mystery, and Netgear is not helping a lot here.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7