Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: parental control for Nighthawk x10 AD7200

zolo
Tutor

parental control for Nighthawk x10 AD7200

I purchased a Nighthawk X10 not too long ago, partially because it has parental controls. I tried to set them up today and after 2 hours realized that it is no longer supported. Does anyone have ideas for ways to still do parental controls on the nighthawk? If not, this is going in the garbage and I will NEVER buy Netgear again.

Message 1 of 16
zolo
Tutor

NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls

My understanding is that Netgear has removed the following parental control applications

1) removed parental controls from the Nighthawk x10 Router

2) removed the Circle on Netgear app from app store

3) removed accessibitily from using OpenDNS

Is this what others have detemined? They have just gutted ALL possibilities of using parental controls?

Netgear advertises that its newer routers have new parental controls built in, but I have heard from multiple people that these are also going to be removed soon. I think Netgear just sucks - anyone want to buy a new x10 router for real cheap - if not its going in the trash can

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 16

Re: NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls

@zolo wrote:

Is this what others have detemined? They have just gutted ALL possibilities of using parental controls?

No.

You may be looking in the wrong place, If anything there are too many places go look for parental controls. Maybe you just got lost. Easily done.

What are the features of NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls and Smart Parental Controls Premium? | Answ...

PS There are also ways to get the free stuff to work.

Message 4 of 16

What's a Nighthawk x10 AD7200?

Certainly not a Netgear model number.

R9000?

Message 5 of 16
zolo
Tutor

the website you sent me to states to to the following:

1. Launch the Orbi app or Nighthawk app

2. Tap Parental Controls tile

I did this on the Nighthawk app and there is NO Parental Controls tile. Does not exist. Try it yourself, there is no tile or any mention of parental control on the Nighthawk app. So your solution is meaningless

Message 6 of 16
zolo
Tutor

its certainly possible the number is wrong, bc almost everything on the Netgear site I have read seems to be wrong, but here it is:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000.aspx

it clearly states x10 ad7200

Message 7 of 16
zolo
Tutor

to be 100% clear, the box I bought it in states: Model x10 ad7200

Message 8 of 16

@zolo wrote:

Try it yourself,

You mean this?

ArmorArmor

Message 9 of 16

@zolo wrote:

to be 100% clear, the box I bought it in states: Model x10 ad7200

That is true.The box also says "Router", but that tells us nothing fo tell it part form any other router that might be in the box.

As explained, it is not a Netgear model number. It is a wifi speed indicator.There may be dozens of different devices with that speed technology., You will even find those labels on different brands.

The label on the thing clear says what the Model Number is:

model number

Message 10 of 16
zolo
Tutor

what version of nighthawk app is that - I do not have that tile anymore after updating to newest version?

Message 11 of 16
zolo
Tutor

you are correct about the label on the router itself

Message 12 of 16
zolo
Tutor

it does point to my main concerns about how Netgear packages things - the box also states "free parental controls", even though there are none - but I agree with you, the router itself says Model: R9000

Message 13 of 16

@zolo wrote:

what version of nighthawk app is that - I do not have that tile anymore after updating to newest version?

The latest for Android.

V2.17.0.2193 Nighthawk

V.2.16.0.2128 Orbi.

Of course, it will not show for routers that do not support parental controls or if they do not have the right firmware.

Message 14 of 16

it does point to my main concerns about how Netgear packages things - the box also states "free parental controls", even though there are none - but I agree with you, the router itself says Model:

It is an old box for a device launched five years ago. Since then Netgear's partner has stopped supporting this feature. But as explained elsewhere you can manage things outside of Netgear.

Parental Controls still work but you may have to to manage them with the desktop genie for your operating system.

On a mobile device you can use a browser and login to your Parental Controls account at opendns.

netgear.opendns.com

Manage things from there.

Message 15 of 16
zolo
Tutor

Seriously, if its an old box with 5 year old technology, some of which has been disabled, why is Netgear still selling these units with documentation that is no longer valid. The box still states the features and the Netgear website still states these features. My mistake for thinking I could trust Netgear to accurately portray their products. Its false advertising and I got scammed. I can accept that...but I am never buying Netgear again because it is clear I cannot trust what they say

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7