× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

12tb Ironwolf in ReadyNAS RN314

Carlo71
Aspirant

12tb Ironwolf in ReadyNAS RN314

Hello,
I am replacing my ageing 3tb Barracuda hard drive with a Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12tb drive, the status on the drive is currently saying "degraded" and the drive has not yet shown up on the Netgear Raidar "volumes" icon...is this normal and how long do I wait for it to format/show up?
thanks in advance.
C.

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: 12tb Ironwolf in ReadyNAS RN314

@Carlo71 wrote:

I am replacing my ageing 3tb Barracuda hard drive with a Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12tb drive, the status on the drive is currently saying "degraded" 

That part is normal, the volume remains degraded until the resync finishes.  

@Carlo71 wrote:

and the drive has not yet shown up on the Netgear Raidar "volumes" icon...is this normal and how long do I wait for it to format/show up?

This might not be normal, and needs some exploration.  Are you using RAIDar, or are you using the web admin interface? Can you post a screenshot of the volumes page in the web admin ui?  (not the RAIDar summary).

Message 2 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

I am using Raidar which then logs me in via my browser(?)...these are the stars images.

Message 3 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

*status*

Message 4 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

Message 5 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

Sorry...doubled up there.

Message 6 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

Might i need to format the drive in a particular fashion?
(I was under the impression that the NAS did this automatically)

Message 7 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

You want it unformatted.  Did you try the refresh button?  Is there an entry in the log?

Message 8 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

I have refreshed the browser - no joy.

It isn't a new hard drive...anything I need to do?

Message 9 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

This is what the log says.

Message 10 of 12
Carlo71
Aspirant

OK, looks like mystery solved...think the hard drive is U/S...tried to mount it in an external caddy and reformat using NTFS, but it won't even mount and I can hear a repeating "eeee" noise coming from it...looks like its  a return to sender job. Swapped it out for the HDD that arrived afterwards and that mounted and is rebuilding the database straight away.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Carlo71 wrote:

OK, looks like mystery solved...think the hard drive is U/S...tried to mount it in an external caddy and reformat using NTFS, but it won't even mount and I can hear a repeating "eeee" noise coming from it...looks like its  a return to sender job. Swapped it out for the HDD that arrived afterwards and that mounted and is rebuilding the database straight away.

Definitely a dead drive.  I usually test mine in a PC before I add them to the NAS - using Seatools for Ironwolf.  I run the full non-destructive read test, and follow that up with the full erase test - because I've purchased some drives that failed one of these tests, and passed the other.  It takes a couple of days for a 12 TB drive, but I'd rather find issues before I put my drives into the NAS.

Note you won't see any capacity increase in your volume until you upgrade another drive to 12 TB.  Then you'd end up with 18 TB (~16.37 TiB) of space.

As an aside - you don't need to use RAIDar to get to the NAS admin pages.  You can just access the web ui from the browser - either https://nas-name/admin or https://nas-ip-address/admin will get you there.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements