× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 1GB Memory for ReadyNAS NV - original Infrant model

stde
Follower

1GB Memory for ReadyNAS NV - original Infrant model

I just recently bought one of these with 4 1tb HDD's, and while I was awaiting delivery saw this on ebay "Crucial CT12864X335.16FFY (1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 200-pin SO DIMM) RAM Module" for just £18.

I bought it but found when the nv arrived that it already had 512 Gb memory on board, rathr than the stock 256. I went ahead and installed it anyway, but found the NAS hung at boot. Repeat attempts, failed, so I undid the 8 screws again and removed, reinserted the sodimm, and rebooted. Worked perfectly!

I thought this might be of use to anyone else upgrading any nas - save time by trying it out  without replacing panels etc. "Incompatibility" may just be down to poor seating of components

Incidentally the 512Gb memory module in place, and working fine was this -

512.jpg

My disks are as below, but I am going to replace these one at a time with 2Tb units

2015-12-12_105230.png

I am using the nv for backup video storage, it runs a little cooler than my Thecus 3200XXX NAS, I don't find the fan noisy, and though it is not the fastest NAS, it does the job. It is in very nice condition, but had a certain amount of dust inside which I blew out before running it up

If there is anyone else out there still running one of these well made antiques, I would be glad to hear from you

For those interested:

Windows 10 64bit on an own-build i7 3770K@ 3500GHz, Asus P8Z-V LX mainboard, 16Mb of memory, Samsung 850EVO 250Gb SSD and a pair of WD Velociraptor 600Gb HDD's in a striped raid for data

The Readynas NV:

ReadyNAS NV [X-RAID], serial 000da20115ae, RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043] ,Memory:1024 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

Message 1 of 9
cloudstore
Aspirant

Letting you know that I still run an NV+ v1.

I have 4x2TB drives it in.

Well made device that has been running flawlessly for many years.

Running Raidiator 4.1.1.4 [1.00a043]

I use Macs and ReadyNAS is one of the few that is 100% compatible with native protocols.

Still work perfect with the latesr version os Mac OS X 10.11

Message 2 of 9
markgca
Guide

im still running a NV+ v1 with 4x 750gb Seagate Barracuda Enterprise drives.

it has been running non stop since new, late 2007.  

Had to replace the psu once, and a hard drive died a couple weeks ago, but thats it.

Its used only for backups 

Running RAIDiator 4.1.15-T3

i will say though that im getting ready to retire it.  im in the process of bringing up some new equipment and this will be turned off when that is completed, likely in the next few months,

figure i got my money out of it....

Message 3 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi markgca,

Thank you for sharing in the community and we appreciate the good things you said about your ReadyNAS NV+ system.

I hope you that you're looking at our new OS 6 series as a primary option in replacing your old system.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
markgca
Guide

sorry but im not looking at OS 6 series.

i own three readynas products; the NV+, a ReadyNAS Business 6, and ReadyNAS Pro 6.  they all perform well.  i was very happy with them.

but it felt like you abandoned us when you came out with the new OS6 firmware, saying it wouldnt run on the old systems, when we all know it would, at least on the Pro 6.  so the decision was; kill the warranty and risk data loss by installing unsupported firmware, or continue along with limited functioning eol firmware.  Not a great choice when you have multiple units, still under warranty.

Also the  snapshot sizing function: necessary in a production environment, but limited/disabled in a firmware update, and every subesequent update said it would be enabled in a future release.  But it wasnt, except in the new OS6 which wasnt supported on these units.  So we are stuck at 10GB snapshot which is woefully inadequate for these types of products.  I run out of snapshot space every time i try to back up, making this 'feature' unusable at the fixed size of 10gb.

so my three year old ReadyNAS pro 6 was a dead product before the five year warranty was even up.  Ditto for my four year old ReadyNAS 6 Business.  Not what i expected when i purchased them.

i think you had the best hardware product out there, and for years i thought the best support as well, but when the infrant guys all left something went wrong. 

sorry, i know this isnt what you expected to hear, but you asked.

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand your frustration with the EOL. It is not a decision we took lightly. If you look at competitor products you will see similar disappointment expressed about decisions to EOL those. We are not alone in this.

The NV+ (v1) is essentially pretty much the same as a product we released back in 2006 and similar to models dating back to the earliest ones from 2004. We released 4.1.14 for these units in 2014. About 10 years of firmware updates is quite a long time.

The Pro Business was released back in 2008 and it continued to receive all the firmware updates for 4.2.x after it was discontinued and it wasn't feature crippled in any way. It runs the latest 4.2.x firmware 4.2.28 which we released in November 2015.

Whilst it's true that you can run OS6 on legacy 64-bit systems, here are a few examples of things we factored into our decision not to support running it on legacy hardware (there are many more):

1. There is no way to simply upgrade to OS6 leaving the data in place. You would need to backup your data first. Now everyone should backup data if they value it, but a lot of users don't, and if they ignored warnings before doing such an upgrade this may lead to data loss.
  2. Even if we supported the upgrade we would still have needed to have provided some 4.2.x maintenance updates for these models for some time as not everyone is willing to take their system offline for long enough to do a factory reset and restore from backup in order to run a new OS. Considering the large number of 64-bit 4.2.x models this would have required a significant amount of resources.
  3. Some 4.2.x models can't run OS6 (those with 32-bit CPUs. In the desktop line the NVX and NVX Pioneer had a 32-bit CPU, in rackmount the 2100v1 and the 1500). 
  4. Legacy desktop ReadyNAS only have 1GB RAM. All our OS6 x86_64 hardware has at least 2GB RAM. We don't support 3rd party memory upgrades and whilst 1GB RAM should be enough users are more likely to find it isn't enough for them than with 2GB RAM.

For business class RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x systems the snapshot size can be set during RAIDar when doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything). During the 10 minute countdown you can go into RAIDar, click setup and choose the snapshot size you want. What is disabled is the ability to resize it without needing to do a factory reset. The Online Filesystem Check uses a snapshot and you can use a snapshot for other purposes too.

If you write more to the NAS than the snapshot space then it will be automatically invalidated. So the key thing is to get your snapshot to exist at a time when minimal writes are being made to the NAS. If you are backing up lots of data to the NAS and trying to have a snapshot exist at the same time you are not using the snapshot feature how it is designed.

On OS6 snapshots are very different. You don't have a single snapshot and you don't have dedicated space for snapshots. With OS6 you can have an unlimited number of snapshots. The less space that is used by current data, the more space you have available for snapshots.

What some users have done is got a new OS6 NAS, used that as their primary and put OS6 on their legacy NAS (e.g. Pro Business Edition, Pro 6) and use that as a backup NAS.

We still have some Infrant guys here. It is quite a long while now since we bought Infrant. In just over a year it will be 10 years since the acquisition.

Message 6 of 9
markgca
Guide

Thanks for all that.  we have both been on this forum since, well, before this forum was updated to its present form.  and i think before you worked for netgear and were just a contributor that did spectatular (free) things for the community.  

the thread was originally just for complementing the NV+ and for that i still agree; it lasted forever, way more than expected. and it is still working fine.

as for the other units, im sorry but i disagree.

my units came with 3gb and 4gb ram respectively.  This was from a authorized seller using authorized netgear product, so they pass that test

as for the snapshot, try it yourself.  i just did (i pulled the 6 drives, put in a spare, and defaulted it), and there is NO menu i can find to change it.  Maybe i missed something, but after you select xraid2, thats it.    In the OLDER firmware i agree it was an option, but i cant find it now.  

if im wrong, tell me exactly how to do it and i will retract my statement. but that doesnt change the fact that originally, when purchased, the snapshot COULD be resized.  but that WAS cripped in a future version, with the promise to be restored, but never was.

i understand the NVS and Pioneer units were underpowered, but you threw the baby out with the bathwater.  MY units (pro business and pro 6) were not crippled in any way; they are both 64 bit systems with plenty of memory.  So your argument that SOME units didnt have the hardware to support it to justify ALL units being abandoned seems, well, not a good argument.

anyway, im not interested in dragging this out, i liked netgear, still think the hardware is great, i just feel bad about the abandonment of hardware that WASNT very old at the time. 

netgear in this case didnt meet my expectations.  

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, I was an active user on the ReadyNAS Community for years before I became an employee.

If you had more than 1GB RAM that would've been a 3rd party upgrade, I think. If a reseller throws more RAM in a unit using 3rd party modules then there could be compatibility issues with that memory that we couldn't be expected to support. Some users would have found workloads that worked fine on 4.2.x with 1GB RAM may not have worked with the slightly increased memory usage from the newer OS. It is one of many factors that was considered.

So you didn't see the option to choose the snapshot size in RAIDar when doing a factory default? If you were using RAIDar 6, please try again using RAIDar 4.3.8. When you click setup there is the option to choose X-RAID2 or Flex-RAID and the RAID mode. At that point it should be possible to set the snapshot space as the volume hasn't even been created yet so it shouldn't need to do any resizing to allocate more than 10GB.

Unfortunately we weren't able to safely re-enable the option to resize the snapshot on 4.2.x.

If you look at competitor products you will see users voicing the same concerns about models that are easily powerful enough to run a major upgrade not getting it because they are EOL. Unfortunately a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Message 8 of 9
markgca
Guide

i went back and looked at my receipts

the base unit came with 2GB at the time i purchased it; i think it was a special offer from netgear

and my unit was ordered with 4GB.

my online warranty registration from Netgear shows it came with 4GB, so this wasnt just a third party upgrade.  Rather it was a Netgear authorized VAR who used Netgear authorized components and was fully authorized/warranted by Netgear.

On the netgear warranty site, once i entered the serial number it populated with the memory/cpu/disk drive serials. And it showed 4GB.

i still have copies of everything if there is a question about this.  i know they went away from VARs, at least the ones i knew, later in time, but thats what they did when i purchased my units.

Which makes sense because VARs are how you typically sell to businesses that have different needs. The VARs use unpopulated units and configure them whatever way you want; the manufacturer then warranties the entire box.  And mine, per the netgear warranty web page, included the 4GB of memory.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements