× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1U rack mount ReadyNAS, are they all end of life?

carpii
Tutor

1U rack mount ReadyNAS, are they all end of life?

I have 3 aging ReadyNAS right now (2 ReadyNAS Pro 4, and a ReadyNAS NVX)
A drive has just failed yet again on one of the Pro 4's, but I'm now having trouble sourcing replacement drives which are on the HCL, since  they are mostly discontinued models.

No biggie, My NAS are all very old now so I'm thinking of replacing them all with some modern 1U rackmount ReadyNAS...

There is a 1U ReadyNAS RN3138 still listed on the Netgear Models page as still being current..
https://www.netgear.co.uk/business/products/storage/readynas/readynas-rackmount.aspx#tab-models

But when you dig a bit deeper into the support page, it's marked as discontinued
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RN3138.aspx

Likewise there's a 1U ReadyNAS RR2304 which is not yet end-of-life, but it's much lower spec (CPU and RAM) than the discontinued RN3138

https://www.netgear.co.uk/business/products/storage/readynas/RR2304.aspx

Why would the higher spec model be discontinued, but the basic one hasn't been?

Can anyone tell me the release dates of these models?

I really wish NetGear site would just show this on the site.

I dont want to buy a RR2304 if it's already 4 years old and will be discontinued any day now.

Thanks

ReadyNAS RN3138 (end of life)
1U 4-bay - 48TB
Intel Atom C2558 2.4GHz Quad Core Processor
4GB ECC RAM

ReadyNAS RR2304 (still available right now, but lower spec)
1U 4-bay - 48TB
Intel Celeron Dual Core 2.0 GHz Processor
2GB RAM

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 1U rack mount ReadyNAS, are they all end of life?

@carpii

UPDATE

RN3138 was a year earlier than the RR2304. RN3138 is actually not EOL, the disclaimer was removed upon inquiry. Though the service note should still be checked specially if you have already purchased one.

https://kb.netgear.com/000037344/Service-Note-for-RN3130-RN3138-WC7500-and-WC7600v2

So RN3138 is still available and will not be on EOL soon. 

HTH

Regards

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@carpii

UPDATE

RN3138 was a year earlier than the RR2304. RN3138 is actually not EOL, the disclaimer was removed upon inquiry. Though the service note should still be checked specially if you have already purchased one.

https://kb.netgear.com/000037344/Service-Note-for-RN3130-RN3138-WC7500-and-WC7600v2

So RN3138 is still available and will not be on EOL soon. 

HTH

Regards

HTH

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I suspect sales figures also had something to do with it.  It may be that few wanted the higher spec units with only 4 bays.

But it is quite concerning that Netgear hides the fact that this NAS is end of life when it still continues to be sold.  It is still listed as a viable alternative on https://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readynas/readynas-rackmount.aspx#tab-models and only by selecting that model and then selecting "Tech Specs" and then "Get Support" does one find it is EoL.  Everything prior to that fails to give this very important information.

Message 3 of 7
carpii
Tutor

Hi @Marc_V 

Thanks a lot for the info, this is very useful

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But it is quite concerning that Netgear hides the fact that this NAS is end of life when it still continues to be sold.  

While I get the need to sell off the inventory in the channels, I agree this information shouldn't be so hidden.  It's led to speculation here about EOL status of other models more than once.

I think this likely does explain the drop in price of the 3138 a few months back.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

While I get the need to sell off the inventory in the channels, I agree this information shouldn't be so hidden.  It's led to speculation here about EOL status of other models more than once.

I do not understand this.  First, declaring a product EoL while there is still stock being sold, is pre-mature.  "Discontinued" and "EoL" have, at least in my mind, and I believe the mind of most, very significantly different meanings..  The implication of "EoL" is "no longer supported", not just "no longer sold".  If clicking on the "end-of-life" link on the support page actually explained what Netgear means by EoL, it might help.  But it just takes you to the standard warranty page

If there is a compelling reason that it needs to be pulled, like a potential for premature failure, then all product should be withdrawn from the shelves and all references to the product in sales material (such as the web pages I listed in a previous message) should have the product removed.  One should not have to dig for this critical piece of information.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

"Discontinued" and "EoL" have, at least in my mind, and I believe the mind of most, very significantly different meanings.

If clicking on the "end-of-life" link on the support page actually explained what Netgear means by EoL, it might help.  But it just takes you to the standard warranty page

I agree the message "This product/software is end-of-life." is misleading.  I also think EoL is quite different from "Discontinued", and the "software" part is completely wrong.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements