× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.5TB with ReadyNAS Duo ?

anarchoi
Aspirant

2.5TB with ReadyNAS Duo ?

I own the ReadyNAS duo version that doesn't support HDD above 2TB

My question is : can i use a 2.5TB in this unit and get 2TB of storage space ? I don't expect to get above 2TB capacity but will my unit be able to use the drive or it just won't detect/format it at all ?
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you just install the drive, it will detect much less space than 2 TB. I don't know the amount for 2.5TB drives, but for 3 TB drives it detects something like ~700 GB.

You are better off just getting another 2 TB drive.
Message 2 of 9
anarchoi
Aspirant

Oh i see... it's not worth it then.

I have another ReadyNas Pro with 4x 2TB.... Can i just replace one of the HDD by my 2.5TB, then take the 2TB from it and put it in my ReadyNAS Duo ? Or will it mess the Pro device because there will be 3x 2TB and 1x 2.5TB ?
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You can use the 2.5 TB in the pro - it won't mess anything up, but (as you suspect) you won't get any extra space.

The you can put the 2 TB drive in the duo.

Do this with hot-insert (on both devices), then the ReadyNAS will detect the disk insertion and delete any existing partitions.
Message 4 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

It's a good idea to delete any existing partitions on the 2.5tb drive using your PC before using it in the NAS.
Same applies to the 2 tb drive that you remove. I would first wait to make sure the 2.5 tb drive is accepted and the pro does a successful resync before using the 2 tb drive, just in case you need to put it back into the pro.
If you did want to reinsert the 2 tb drive for some reason, you'd need to do it with the pro off, otherwise it will be wiped.
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You shouldn't need to delete existing partitions if you do a hot-insert.

I agree that you should wait until the resync on the pro completes before inserting the 2 TB drive into the duo.
Message 6 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Agree, but some users still seem to have problems:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=72184
Message 7 of 9
anarchoi
Aspirant

ok i did exactly what you guys said, it took 24 hours to resynch both discs but i'm still limited to 1gb space !!

Raidar does detect two 2TB disk but i don't get more than 1TB, even after rebooting 3 times...

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2iuu6g0.jpg
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If the resync is complete, try a reboot.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements