× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2004 INFRANT ReadyNAS Perfect Condition -- can I update?

SeanCMurph
Aspirant

2004 INFRANT ReadyNAS Perfect Condition -- can I update?

I have an original 2004 INFRANT ready NAS.

Can I update this to current technology -- ie, SSD or something other than the monster huge loud 256GB SATA drives that are in it?

I seem to remember that its memory maxed out at 512mb. Is that enough? It only has 256mb currently.

The RAIDiator PCMCIA looking card says 2004 P/N IT19-1-110-0

PN: RNX6S2000-009

SN: 000DA2007176

Anyone got a user or service manual?

Anyone know if it can be used moving forward, I have a large library of Family and Professional Videotape that I would like to place in secure storage. I would like to be able to stream that video, if possible.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: 2004 INFRANT ReadyNAS Perfect Condition -- can I update?

The NV/NV+ could be expanded to 1 GB.  Users who did that did report some improvement in file transfer speeds.  The platform was a bit finicky about third-party memory though, especially in the late firmware releases.

Overall, my own NV+ (unmodified) gets about 15-20 MB/sec in large file transfers.  Increasing the memory might speed that up, but there's nothing you can do to increase the disk capacity over 2 TB.  Plus you are limited to SMB 1, which is being depecated by Windows due to security concerns.

The entry level RN214 gets about 100 MB/sec in large file transfers, can handle any size disk, and supports SMB 3.

While playing with the 2004 model could be a fun project, its performance won't get anywhere close to a current NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

AFAIK, the capabilities and limitations on the X6 are identical to the NV/NV+V1.  It does use the same firmware.. Given it's only SATAII and a SPARC processor, you would gain little with SSDs even if it did support them.

Message 2 of 4
SeanCMurph
Aspirant

How much memory can I put in this thing?

My memory has something about 512mb...can that be 1gb?

Is there a benefit?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The NV/NV+ could be expanded to 1 GB.  Users who did that did report some improvement in file transfer speeds.  The platform was a bit finicky about third-party memory though, especially in the late firmware releases.

Overall, my own NV+ (unmodified) gets about 15-20 MB/sec in large file transfers.  Increasing the memory might speed that up, but there's nothing you can do to increase the disk capacity over 2 TB.  Plus you are limited to SMB 1, which is being depecated by Windows due to security concerns.

The entry level RN214 gets about 100 MB/sec in large file transfers, can handle any size disk, and supports SMB 3.

While playing with the 2004 model could be a fun project, its performance won't get anywhere close to a current NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements