× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2nd ReadyNAS DUO or ReadyNAS ultra

EDCUL
Aspirant

2nd ReadyNAS DUO or ReadyNAS ultra

I currently have a Ready NAS Duo (with 2x 2TB Drives) as my media server.

I want to replace my Airport Time Capsule as my back up device with something that can have redunantcy if the drive fails)

So I am thinking either getting a second ReadyNas DUO or a Ready Nas ultra (4 bay)

My question is can you make the ReadyNAS Ultra and its 4 bays 2 separate volumes (bay 1 and 2[mirror of bay 1] for media and bay 3 and 4 [mirror of 3] for backup) so if one drive fails ie if there is a problem with 3/4 it wont effect 1/2 and vice versa?

Or do you think its better having 2 separate readynas duos?

I can see the advantage of 2 readynas duos as if one box fails I can still use the other one to get the data off etc.
any other comments will be gratefully received
Message 1 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: 2nd ReadyNAS DUO or ReadyNAS ultra

EDCUL wrote:
So I am thinking either getting a second ReadyNas DUO or a Ready Nas ultra (4 bay)

I would definately get an ultra 4, if for nothing other than 3tb+ support. The duo will only support 2tb, no larger.

My question is can you make the ReadyNAS Ultra and its 4 bays 2 separate volumes (bay 1 and 2[mirror of bay 1] for media and bay 3 and 4 [mirror of 3] for backup) so if one drive fails ie if there is a problem with 3/4 it wont effect 1/2 and vice versa?

Yes, you can do this if you switch to flex-raid mode.

You would create 2 separate raid 1 volumes. Note, you must wait for the first volume to finish syncing before you can create the second volume.

Obviously you would lose 2 disks worth of space, vs 1 disk worth of space if you used the default x-raid2 (raid 5).

Or do you think its better having 2 separate readynas duos?

you can use ultra with the duo, have the u4 backup to the duo.

I can see the advantage of 2 readynas duos as if one box fails I can still use the other one to get the data off etc.

that is a good point yes, however the duo essentially has no future for larger drives, you will be stuck with 2tb max forever.
Message 2 of 13
EDCUL
Aspirant

If I go for the Ultra
I will get 4 brand new disks and install all 4 at the same time.
once then set up I will then put the data on and then sell the duo.

No point backing up to the Duo is there if it can only handle 2TB and I got 4TB of data to back up?
Message 3 of 13
EDCUL
Aspirant

Sorry just re read what you wrote.

I can get the ultra and put in 3x 2TB drives and have 2x 2TB volumes with reduntantcy? incase one of the volumes fail?
Message 4 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

EDCUL wrote:
No point backing up to the Duo is there if it can only handle 2TB and I got 4TB of data to back up?

well of course the duo may not be able to backup your whole data set, but 2tb of backup is better than none, and since you already have the duo there is no cost. Selling the duo won't get you much.

I can get the ultra and put in 3x 2TB drives and have 2x 2TB volumes with reduntantcy? incase one of the volumes fail?

you should familiarize yourself with raid levels

3x 2tb can configured in 3 individual 2tb volumes, 1 large volume of ~6b (raid-0, non-redundant), 1 large volume of about ~4tb (raid-5, redundant), 1 volume raid-1 (~2tb redunant) plus 1 volume raid-0 (non-redunant).

The simplest and arguably best way is to use the default x-raid2, which you can start with a single drive, then add additional disks and get automatic redundancy and expansion.

Further, later on you can expand the array by replacing at least two of the 2tb drives with 3tb (or larger) drives and the array will expand to use the additional space provided by the larger drives.
Message 5 of 13
EDCUL
Aspirant

Sorry I am still a bit lost here.

if I go for 3x 2TB drives and use X-RAID2 how much storage will I have? 4TB?
and is there still redundancy if any of the drives fail.

I basically want to have 4TB of space and have it so if a drive fails it can just easily be replaced (is this raid-5?)
or is my best option to have 4x 2TB?
Message 6 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

EDCUL wrote:
if I go for 3x 2TB drives and use X-RAID2 how much storage will I have? 4TB?

yes, its about 3.7tb after formatting etc.

and is there still redundancy if any of the drives fail.

yes, anyone single drive fails. if more than one drive fails, then you will lose your data.

I basically want to have 4TB of space and have it so if a drive fails it can just easily be replaced (is this raid-5?)

yes, 3x 2tb.

or is my best option to have 4x 2TB?

you can have 4x 2tb with raid5/x-raid2 and still have redundancy, this will get you about 5555gb.

or if you split up like in your first post, you would get two separate volumes of about 1850gb (raid-1, mirror/redundant).
Message 7 of 13
EDCUL
Aspirant

I might look at the 3x 2TB drives then and just have the 1 volume ( multiple shares)
and then at a later date get a 4th 2TB to cover
if I stay with X-Raid2 I should be fine with just plugging in the 4th drive right?
Message 8 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

yes
Message 9 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

You might want to consider purchasing 4 drives. Install 3 and establish the 4 TB volume under X-Raid2. The fourth drive keep in a cabinet or closed as a spare or future expansion. Drives can and do fail. Most often a failure either occurs very early (I lost my first one within 30 days of installing my first NAS, it's replacement ran for over 3 years) or after reasonably long service. Nothing quite gets your attention like an e-mail from you NAS alerting you to a drive failure. Having a spare handy gives a lot of comfort. Then you can get the failed drive replaced or purchase another spare without having to rush it.
Message 10 of 13
EDCUL
Aspirant

Just been given a ReadyNAS Ultra4 at work (RNDU4000)
Just have to con the boss into allowing me to take it home rather than use it in the office.
Message 11 of 13
EDCUL
Aspirant

OK still working on the Boss 😛
If I am sucessful can I just rip my 2TB out of my ReadyNAS duo and place it in the ReadyNAS Ultra or will it be best to install a couple of drives in the Ultra copy the data down from the Duo to the Ultra then install the old DUO drive in the ultra as the 3rd Drive?

Currently the DUO is set up for X-Raid
I will want the Ultra to be X-RAID2
Message 12 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

no, you can not use the duo disks in the ultra, they will be erased re-initialized for the ultra

you will need to copy across the network from the duo to the ultra
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements