× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

3200 – FrontView will not apply changes

UserBackup
Aspirant

3200 – FrontView will not apply changes

I am having issues with my ReadyNAS 3200 – FrontView will not apply changes. Any help you can provide would be highly appreciated. I have read and seen a few posts on this issue, but I wanted to make sure to post my specific details in case there is something I am missing. I have created a case [16917365], but I no longer eligible for phone support.

Device Information:
Model: ReadyNAS 3200 Business Edition [X-RAID2]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.10
Memory: 3968 MB [DDR2]
Volume C: Online, X-RAID2, 12 disks, 83% of 18501 GB used
12 Hitachi HUA722020ALA330 1863 GB drives

Device History: [Just to be clear: my FrontView problem is on my OLD ReadyNAS]
I am expanding my ReadyNAS environment to include another device. Here are the events…
1. I ran and finished a Backup Job from my current/old ReadyNAS to the new ReadyNAS ( backing up ~15TB)
2. After the backup finished I went to update the firmware on my old ReadyNAS and no firmware or even minor changes would apply inside FrontView.
3. So, I figured the best solution would be to power off the device and let it boot back up, etc. (probably not the best choice, but that is what I did)
4. The ReadyNAS booted up and started recreating the array
5. I watched it in RAIDar-4.3.3 and it got up to about 35.1% and then hung there for several hours
6. When it finally came back up, it gave the following Status “Dead. This volume is no longer available”
7. I started researching the forums
8. I found a post that talked about doing an OS reinstall in this situation.
9. I preformed the OS reinstall and this fixed my dead volume issue, but my symptoms in FrontView were the same.
10. A few hours after the OS reinstall I started to received a message when I would pull up FrontView that said "System Error: Please contact customer support."
11. I preformed an additional OS reinstall to make sure that the initial OS reinstall worked.
12. The "System Error: Please contact customer support." Have gone away for now
13. That is the complete history of this device

Any thoughts or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
UserBackup
Aspirant

Re: 3200 – FrontView will not apply changes

My issue was a massive backup log. If you can boot up your ReadyNAS and get into it via ssh -- the log file you are looking to remove is in var/log/frontview --you'll know which one it is by the job number, etc.

Thanks.
Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have SSH access you can SSH in and do

df -h

If the 4GB OS partition is full then there is a problem (e.g. backup job logs not truncated properly). Seeing as you were running a very old firmware version it's highly likely that you encountered a bug that has been addressed by newer firmware, in fact I think I remember there being such an issue a while back.

This info is also found in the logs (Status > Logs > Download all Logs) in disk_usage.log
Message 3 of 4
beisser1
Aspirant

also your firmware is pretty ancient.. i think newe firmwares have a mechanism in place to prevent this from happening.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements