× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4 disks in 2 volumes both as raid 1 RN104 ?

Jim78
Aspirant

4 disks in 2 volumes both as raid 1 RN104 ?

Hi, I'm looking to get the RN104 but I want to set it up with 2 drives to start with setup as Raid 1 and then add 2 Drives at a latter date as a separate raid 1 volume. Is this possible with this unit ?
Volume 1 (Bay 1+2) = 2 x 3tb drives Raid 1
Volume 2 (Bay 3+4) = 2 x 3tb drives Raid 1 (To be installed at a letter date)
Can I connect 2 different external hard drives to the RN104 to backup the data from each volume respectively ? Is there built in software to automate this process ?
I hope this all makes sense.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 4 disks in 2 volumes both as raid 1 RN104 ?

Yes you can create multiple volumes.

Go to Volumes in the Dashboard and click the X-RAID button and confirm you want to disable X-RAID. Make sure you do this before you add the third disk. Otherwise you will end up with a X-RAID RAID-5 volume.

Yes you can connect multiple external hard disks. If using USB hard disks that don't have a dedicated power supply if you have issues consider placing an AC powered USB hub between the NAS and the USB disks.

The Dashboard has options to configure backup jobs including to/from USB disks. You can configure these jobs to run automatically on a schedule.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements