× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4312X Expansion Options

dallis11
Aspirant

4312X Expansion Options

The EDA4000 (24 bay expansion) has been flagged EOL -end of life and is very hard to find.  Are there or will there be other expansion options for the 4312 NAS?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

The EDA4000 (24 bay expansion) has been flagged EOL -end of life and is very hard to find.  Are there or will there be other expansion options for the 4312 NAS?

Netgear won't comment on their product plans, so you won't get any info on futures here.  But there's nothing available today from Netgear.

I suspect that third party SAS/SATA expansion chassis will work, but of course it wouldn't be supported.

Message 2 of 9
Hopchen
Prodigy

Maybe you can do vertical expanssion as an interim alternative at the least. How big are the disks that you currently use?

Message 3 of 9
dallis11
Aspirant

Yes, that is the route I had decided to go but being that I'm purchasing a new 4360 I'm thinking that I would move data from the 4312 to the 4360 bay initially.

Message 4 of 9
dallis11
Aspirant

Any drive recommendations on the 4360x NAS?  Lots of Seagate on HD Compat list, HGST, West. Dig.   Seagate seems problematic.  Being that the 4360 is 60 bay drive vibration can be an issue.  Thx.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Definitely go with enterprise class drives.  I generally use WD (and HGST is part of WD), but I think the Seagate Exos should also work well.

Message 6 of 9
dallis11
Aspirant

Thanks - Yes, for sure on nothing but Enterprise for the number of HDs and vibration.. Being that I have my 4312 loaded up with Exos I'll probably do that in the 4360 if you're saying Exos are good. 

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

Thanks - Yes, for sure on nothing but Enterprise for the number of HDs and vibration.. Being that I have my 4312 loaded up with Exos I'll probably do that in the 4360 if you're saying Exos are good. 

Just to clarify - I think they will work fine, but I don't have a rackmount NAS (and I use NAS-purposed drives on my own desktop NAS).

Netgear is often slow to qualify drives, but their testing is thorough.  So any enterprise drive on their HCL should work.

Message 8 of 9
dallis11
Aspirant

No worries..  I use them at home as well in my 4 bay RAID'd NAS. Yes, anything I go with is from their compat. list.  Thx for the clarif.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements