× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4TB drives alternatives for RN102, not listed in HCL

pescatore
Aspirant

4TB drives alternatives for RN102, not listed in HCL

Folks,

I am reconsidering a purchase of 2X4TB drives for more economical options.

I would like to stick to 7200RPM, so this eliminates a whole bunch of WD, HGST and Seagate drives.

I am really intrigued by the Toshiba N300 series, which state to be for NAS applications.

However, these models are not on the HCL.  Considering the HCL is from 9 months ago, is there a chance

these drives haven't made the list yet?

I did not find relevant and recent discussion about this topic.

Thank you,

Pescatore

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 11
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 4TB drives alternatives for RN102, not listed in HCL

Hello pescatore,

It does appear that you would like consider using Toshiba N300 series on your Readynas however it is not listed as compatible hard drives under HCL. The hard drives listed on the HCL are tested and proven that work well with readynas devices. We highly recommend to get a hard drives that are listed on the HCL for your readynas device. We can wait for any recommendations from community member that might have gone to the same process.

Please note that NETGEAR Support can and will deny support on devices using drives not found on the official compatibility list.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pescatore,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 11
pescatore
Aspirant

Hello Marty_M,

Thanks for the details.

Rephrasing my question:  Does anyone know if there is an update to the list coming soon, given that it is almost

a year old (Last Updated:11/28/2016 | Article ID: 20641)

Thanks,

Pesc

Message 4 of 11
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pescatore,

We have not receive any notification when the HCL will be updated. We all know and agree that there are a lot of changes happen everyday in the storage community, we cannot tell it may be updated soon. For now we recommend to stick on the HCL. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

The date on the support site does not reflect when the hard drive hcl tool gets updated. The tool does get updated regularly and the most recent update was in the past week.

We are looking to qualify the Toshiba NAS drives. We have spoke to Toshiba to better understand the differnces they have changed to this specific drive. It sounds like will have not issues getting qualified once we are at the stage of fulling qualifying and adding it to the HCL.

We do have the newer Toshiba Desktop and Enterprise since they are existing drives from the market. This newer Toshiba drive model that is acting as a blend of the two models, so  we are looking forward to getting it added to the HCL.

Message 6 of 11
Pescatore04
Aspirant

I'm glad the list is not static as the rest of the web page.  Thanks for that tip.

My motive is cost.  Amazon carries this drive for $120.  Other brands in same price range have lower RPM and cache.

Thanks for the response.

Pescatore

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Pescatore04 wrote:

My motive is cost.  Amazon carries this drive for $120.  Other brands in same price range have lower RPM and cache.

In almost all cases you will be limited by the RN102 CPU speed, and not the disks.

Message 8 of 11
Pescatore04
Aspirant

I am thinking about the future, when I will move these drives in a 4 bay unit.

How can I compare performance between an RN200 or 300 series?  I can see they have

different CPUs, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

I guess my question is, which unit will be limited by the hard disk performance as opposed to the NAS itself?

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Pescatore04 wrote:

I guess my question is, which unit will be limited by the hard disk performance as opposed to the NAS itself?

One way to tell is to look at reviews (for instance smallnetbuilder.com).  If you see gigabit performance using RAID-5 at around 108-110 MB/s, then the product is network bound, not CPU bound.  For sequential file I/O (large files) you usually won't be limited by disk performance on a gigabit network (if you are using RAID).

@Pescatore04 wrote:

How can I compare performance between an RN200 or 300 series?  

The 300 is phased out, so in the future it'd more likely be the RN42x family.

Message 10 of 11
Pescatore04
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen for the useful tips.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation