× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 526X Admin Page - GUI issue

mdirvin
Aspirant

526X Admin Page - GUI issue

I have two 526X's, and a 524X.  On one 526X the share tab on the admin page stopped showing two colums.  The Available, and Consumed column.  Also on the left side of the page where the small data icon is.  The horizonal bar graph only shows blue, and white,  the yellow for the snapshot is missing, and the icons legends under the graph only show the small blue, and white square.  The values are correct, only snapshots are not being separated out.  If I click on the refresh button, while the reloading the info the missing colums and yellow legend are showing.  When the data reloads, and displays the information the two columns/yellow graph icon disappear.  Also on the system/overview the horizonal graph only shows data (blue) and not snapshot info (yellow).  On the system/volumes the pie chart only shows data (green), no yellow (snapshot) info.  The information is correct, just that the snapshot data is not be separted out.  All three units are running 6.10.0 HF #2.  I don't belive its my browser since only one is acting up.  I'm using an iMac, with Safari Ver 12.1.1.  I also tried fire fox with the same results.  I have reinstalled the OS, that didn't make any difference.  Any ideas???  I don't think the problem rises to the level of a factory reset being that I would have to deal with copying off 5TB of data, and reloading.  It would be nice to see the - Available, and Consumed colums.

Mike

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Check the volume settings, and make sure Quota is enabled.  Though normally you won't see any disk usage on the share page if that is turned off.

Also, are the snapshot counts for each share being shown?

Perhaps post a screenshot?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Check the volume settings, and make sure Quota is enabled.  Though normally you won't see any disk usage on the share page if that is turned off.

Also, are the snapshot counts for each share being shown?

Perhaps post a screenshot?

Message 2 of 7
mdirvin
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

That was the problem the Quota was not enabled.  I'm not sure how that happened, I didn't even know it existed.  Possibly when I updated to 6.10.0 HF#2.  Thanks for the help.

Mike

Message 3 of 7
mdirvin
Aspirant

Just a follow up question.  I noticed that neither the Quota, or Checksum box was checked on the volume settings.  Looking in the manual it says that bitrot protection depends on the checksum.  I had bitrot protection turned on for the share, but if the checksum was not turned on for the volume does that mean that any files written to the disk during that time does not have bitrot protection applied?

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@mdirvin wrote:

but if the checksum was not turned on for the volume does that mean that any files written to the disk during that time does not have bitrot protection applied?

Bitrot protection does rely on the checksums.  I suggest running a btrfs scrub that will at least verify the checksums that are there.  But I don't know if it will create checksums that aren't.

There is a way to manually rebuild the btrfs checksum tree, but it is listed as "dangerous" in the btrfs man page.  Definitely make sure you have a backup before you try it.  See --init-csum-tree here: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Manpage/btrfs-check

FWIW, there aren't a lot of posts here giving experiences with the bitrot feature.  I've had one recent experience - a disk drive failed in my RN526x a few weeks ago.  After replacement I got a bitrot notification on two files.  The NAS was unable to repair them (probably because the RAID parity blocks had already been rebuilt, so they were consistent with the errored files).  However, I did verify that the files were corrupt, and I was able to restore them from a backup.  

Message 5 of 7
mdirvin
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@mdirvin wrote:

but if the checksum was not turned on for the volume does that mean that any files written to the disk during that time does not have bitrot protection applied?

Bitrot protection does rely on the checksums.  I suggest running a btrfs scrub that will at least verify the checksums that are there.  But I don't know if it will create checksums that aren't.

There is a way to manually rebuild the btrfs checksum tree, but it is listed as "dangerous" in the btrfs man page.  Definitely make sure you have a backup before you try it.  See --init-csum-tree here: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Manpage/btrfs-check

Knowing my limitations probably a "Dangerous" route would not be in my best interest.  I'll just skip that and go with plan B.  I will create a new temp share with bit rot protection, then use backup to copy all the files into it.  Rename the share to the original share name, redo my DR share.  Most likely will have to work with my client software to recognize the the files.  Fortunately with this share I only have one client desktop, myself.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.  

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@mdirvin wrote:

Knowing my limitations probably a "Dangerous" route would not be in my best interest.  I'll just skip that and go with plan B.  I will create a new temp share with bit rot protection, then use backup to copy all the files into it.  

I'd likely do that also (assuming I had enough disk space for the temp share[s]).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements