× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.10.2 causes RNDU6000 to crash and inaccessible.

Joe_Goes
Aspirant

6.10.2 causes RNDU6000 to crash and inaccessible.

Just recovered from a brush of absolute disaster after updating firmware to 6.10.2
2nd Dec I updated to 6.10.2. Later that night found no access to NAS, pressed power button on NAS no display, rebooted to find display showing “ReadyNAS” but no progress to boot. Tried 3 more times but no joy. UTTER PANIC SETS IN!!!. Took NAS apart cleaned dust and replaced CMOS Battery, reassembled and booted still no boot, searched for recovery options online and booted into recovery by Depressing RESET button at the back while pressing POWER button at the front, selected NORMAL and booted... THANK GOD!!! it went past the “ReadyNAS” screen and proceeded to detecting the disks. And now I had access.

This happened a couple of times this week and I am kicking myself for ever updating.

Today in the Settings option I selected “Long-term suport” and rebooted. Somehow it rolled back the firmware to 6.10.1

Hopefully it doesn’t crash on me again. I’ll keep you guys updated if it helps anyone.

I KNOW THIS MODEL IS NOT SUPPORTED FOR THE CURRENT FIRMWARE. I LEARNED MY LESSON AND WONT BE UPDATING TO ANY FUTURE FIRMWARE.
Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Joe_Goes
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Sandshark do appreciate it, I think I might have got to the bottom of my issue. TEMPERATURE!!! In the pursuit of saving space I had the NAS and UPS in the attic where the temperatures can get below 5*C. Anyways I brought the whole thing down and installed it above our wardrobe and ever since there hasn’t been any issue, we keep our house at a constant 20*C and the temps on the ReadyNAS webpage show about 35 for CPU and about 48 for system. Still on 6.10.1 as it’s long term support.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm using that version on an Ultra4, which is less powerful than your Ultra6Plus, without issue, and I suspect many others are, too.  So the problem is quite likely not the oS version itself.  Are you running any apps that might have an issue with the updated version?  The update process itself can have a negative effect if the OS partition is nearly full, and the reboot needed for the update can point out a marginal power supply, especially if you otherwise leave it on 24/7..  Given it booted after several tries (with what you did between them possibly having an impact, but maybe not), a failing power supply is definately a possibility, though it is a bit too soon to make that determination unless you have also had some voltage warnings in the log.

Booting up from the boot menu delays when the NAS has to reliably access the hard drives, so that could be pointing to a power supply or drive issue.

Message 2 of 4
Joe_Goes
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Sandshark do appreciate it, I think I might have got to the bottom of my issue. TEMPERATURE!!! In the pursuit of saving space I had the NAS and UPS in the attic where the temperatures can get below 5*C. Anyways I brought the whole thing down and installed it above our wardrobe and ever since there hasn’t been any issue, we keep our house at a constant 20*C and the temps on the ReadyNAS webpage show about 35 for CPU and about 48 for system. Still on 6.10.1 as it’s long term support.
Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad you found the issue.

While colder is generally better for electronics, too cold is not good for spinning drives.  The bearings can start to bind.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements