× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.10.3 bricked two RN516 units

ineffable
Follower

6.10.3 bricked two RN516 units

Recently, we upgraded the firmware on our thwo ReadyNAS 516s to 6.10.3. We used the automatic update (prompted on login), and updated from 6.10.2. The NAS rebooted and worked fine until a couple days later, when they were scheduled to reboot by schedule (once weekly reboots). Following the reboots, both NAS units now read mount_block_root +e25 on the front panel. USB recovery does not work; we are able to get the panel on occasion to indicate booting from USB, but the thumb drives prepared with the USB Recovery Tool (we have tried three different thumb drive models) do not do anything--the panel then reverts to Booting... and gives the same error as above.

Is there any way we can either get the NAS to boot, or recover the data from the RAID arrays (Flex-RAID) in another unit (e.g., a Synology chassis)? The files are not super valuable but would be nice to have.

Thanks!

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: 6.10.3 bricked two RN516 units

What apps were you running on the two NAS?

Try removing all the disks from one NAS (labeling by slot).  When you power it up, do you see a "no disks" status on the LCD?

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, I think USB recovery is the right step here.  The system can be fussy about what USB drives it will accept.  Generally smaller/older ones work better.

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Ideally, use a USB drive with an access LED so you will know if it's even being accessed.

While the legacy NAS are quite particular about the USB drive used, I've found the newer ones (and that includes my 516) to be less so, though a USB3 drive will typically give problems.

Message 4 of 9
E360_6pack
Tutor

Exact same problem on a RN316.

USB recovery worked perfectly.

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
E360_6pack
Tutor

Just make sure the OS6 image is in the x86 folder, took me a while to work out why it wouldn't work.

Michael

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 6 of 9
AJD1
Tutor

This exact same thing happened to my Readynas 516 that is used for business offsite backup files. I made a USB recovery drive and when I boot to it, the NAS is stalled at the Device Telnet / local IP address. Please help if there is ppssibly a way to backpedal and maybe downgrade to the previous firmware?? Thank you, Andy

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@AJD1 wrote:

This exact same thing happened to my Readynas 516 that is used for business offsite backup files. I made a USB recovery drive and when I boot to it, the NAS is stalled at the Device Telnet / local IP address. Please help if there is ppssibly a way to backpedal and maybe downgrade to the previous firmware?? Thank you, Andy

If you only used one recovery drive, I suggest trying another one.  Older thumbdrives appear to work better than newer larger ones.  Ideally using one that has a LED that lets you confirm that the drive is being accessed.

Message 8 of 9
AJD1
Tutor

ISSUE RESOLVED!! YAY!!!

As a last ditch effort, I ended up trying one other USB drive that I installed the USB Recovery software on with the same firmware that the NAS was recently upgraded to and VOILA! - got rid of the mount_block_root +e25 error. I hope this works for anyone else out there in Netgear land. For what it's worth, the first USB drive I used installed the recovery software onto it fine (or so I thought), but when I tried using it on the NAS, it would stall at the Device / Telnet (IP address) and go no further. Don't ask me why, but the other USB drive did the trick.

Thank you to all who helped!

Best Regards,

Andy

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements